ON THE WEB
- Faster Payments Survey – Your Immediate Reply Requested - PaymentsViews.com (Elizabeth McQuerry) - "We invite you to take the survey and add your voice to the evolving industry discussion. At Glenbrook, we are keenly following the issue and will host our second Insight Workshop on Faster Payments on May 12."
- Beyond Payments: How the Unified Payments Interface Will Evolve - Gadgets360 - "In a sentence, UPI allows you to instantly transfer money to someone else using the IMPS payment framework, without having to know their bank account number or IFSC code."
- Episode 695: Put A Chip On It - Planet Money - "In the podcast, we ask for your help. How long does it take for you to complete a transaction with your credit card chip?"
- Is FinTech Forcing Banking to a Tipping Point? - Wall St. Journal - "Is the digital revolution finally reaching the banking industry? Will incumbent banks embrace FinTech innovations before FinTech startups gain scale and distribution? How will it all play out?"
- How Financial Institutions Can Leverage #Data in Credit Card Portfolios - TMG Blog - "For credit card-issuing FIs, there is a sea of data readily available. Online banking provides data with every login, click or download. Consumer spending habits and payment histories provide trends that can be leveraged in the future."
- Starbucks: The Secrets of Success with M-payments - Open Mobile Media - "Why is the coffee giant seemingly the only one to get mobile payments right? Susan Kuchinskas examines why so many customers use the Starbucks app to get their caffeine fix, and what other companies may divine from the coffee company’s success."
- Barclays' Smart Contract Templates heralds first ever public demo of R3's Corda platform - International Business Times - "The Smart Contract Templates application developed by Barclays has heralded the first ever public demonstration of the R3 Corda "fabric" for shared banking ledgers, which took place before an audience of over 800 people at The O2 in London."
ON THE WIRES
- FIS and The Clearing House Prepare Real-Time Payments to Go Nationwide - “FIS is a proven leader with extensive experience in developing and delivering innovative new payments services to its customers, so we are excited they have partnered with us to launch this pilot program,” said Russ Waterhouse, executive vice president, Product Development and Strategy at The Clearing House. “True, real-time payments that clear and settle within seconds are right around the corner. Not only is FIS helping us bring this system to market quickly, they are also going to play a key role in helping us achieve ubiquity in the U.S.”
- Capital One, Fifth Third, PNC, TD, and Wells Fargo Invest in Transactis - "Five of the largest U.S. commercial banks — Capital One, Fifth Third, PNC, TD, and Wells Fargo — and Safeguard Scientifics announced they have invested a total of $30 million in Transactis, a leading provider of electronic billing and payment solutions."
- Revel Systems Partners with Verifone to Simplify & Enhance Payment Management for Merchants - “Revel is a platform designed to offer clients a seamless customer experience, and having a payment component that will simplify our clients’ lives is important to us,” said Lisa Falzone, co-founder and CEO of Revel. “Verifone has more than 30-years of payments expertise and a worldwide team of payments specialists that will provide our clients with the most secure and technologically advanced payments capabilities. With this integration, we are continuing our mission to help business operators and entrepreneurs create the business of their dreams.”
- MasterCard, Western Union Join bKash to Make Cross-Border Money Transfers into Mobile Phones a Reality for 22 Million Bangladeshis - "MasterCard plays a critical role in this relationship by providing the real-time, back-end solution via its innovative MasterCard Send Platform, which, by connecting bKash, BRAC Bank and Western Union, helps to further enhance the efficiency and reliability of the end-to-end remittance process."
- Samsung Pay Adds TD Bank and Regions Bank, Rapidly Expanding Financial Partners - "Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. announced today that Samsung Pay, the most widely accepted mobile payment system, will soon support eligible credit and debit cards from TD Bank and Regions Bank, in addition to 60 Visa and MasterCard banks and credit unions launched since early March 2016."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!