On the Web:
- A dust-up is brewing in mobile payments, pitting Isis against Best Buy, 7-Eleven - GigaOm - "If this to-do over NFC between Isis and Best Buy and 7-Eleven turns into a war with MCX, then it could be the final death blow for NFC payments in the U.S."
- Banks, Corruption and Crypto: Can Bitcoin Change India? - CoinDesk (Daniel Cawrey) - "The reluctance of the Indian government to make decisions about virtual currencies may be merely because it doesn’t want to stifle innovation. Or it could be because trustless systems could quite possibly eradicate corruption in the country."
- Fortress, Benchmark and Ribbit Team up with Pantera for Bitcoin Fund - CoinDesk - "The new fund will be known as Pantera Bitcoin Partners LLC and, as the name implies, it will be controlled by Pantera. Fortress, Ribbit Capital and Benchmark Capital will be minority equity partners."
- Target RED Card Debit: Zero Fraud So Far - The Finance Buff Blog - "Target RED Card debit cards saw zero fraud because they must use a PIN."
- Burger King builds mobile platform to quickly scale up in payments - "Burger King is partnering with Tillster to develop the app."
- 5 ways to succeed at mobile payments without really trying - VentureBeat - "Tech companies big and small, from PayPal to PaySimple, have made it easier than ever to implement mobile payments into a business..."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard Supports Smaller Businesses with Greater Transparency in Payments - "The new standards deliver greater transparency and value to smaller business owners. In the standard, acquirers and payment service providers are required to provide their customers with a clear and detailed disclosure of the fees they are charged, while also ensuring a minimum of 30 days’ notice before they modify any fees related to MasterCard transactions."
- TSYS Merchant Solutions Announces Partnership with Navy Federal - "TSYS Merchant Solutions announced today a new partnership with Navy Federal Credit Union designed to provide Navy Federal’s merchant members with the ability to accept credit and debit cards as payments for their goods and services."
- Payoneer Selected as a Global Payments Provider for the Google Trusted Stores Program - "Payoneer will power the program’s customer payouts, providing bank transfer services that enable Google Trusted Stores to send payments to people in many countries where it currently operates."
- Fifth Third Bank Announces Financial Supply Chain Management Services - “Our offering focuses on the ‘big picture’ and helps businesses integrate cash management with the administration of supplier relationships to help control working capital more effectively.”
- Huntington Bank Eliminates Another Fee as Part of Its Ongoing Fair Play Philosophy - “At Huntington we made the decision that we did not want to charge customers for transferring their own money from one account to another,” said Steve Steinour, chairman, president and CEO of Huntington Bank.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews