On the web:
- Shopkick Adds In-App Purchases To Help Retailers Fight Amazon: ‘We Are The Anti-Amazon Coalition’ - TechCrunch - "Using our app to buy goods means you will be buying goods from the actual stores, not Amazon. We are the anti-Amazon coalition."
- European Union Aims to Lower Credit Card Fees - New York Times - "Michel Barnier, the bloc’s commissioner in charge of financial services, said Wednesday that MasterCard, in particular, had engaged in “extraordinary and unheard-of lobbying” aimed at opposing the measures."
- EU Attacks MasterCard’s ‘Mad Campaign’ to Derail Card-Fee Curbs - Bloomberg - “We have the utmost respect for Commissioner Barnier and fully support the goal of encouraging electronic payments to stimulate economic growth while protecting European consumers,” MasterCard said in an e-mailed statement responding to his comments.
- EU Proposes Cap on Credit-Card Fees - Wall St. Journal - "The European Union's executive body proposed a strict cap on credit and debit card fees on Wednesday, in a move it said could save consumers billions of euros."
On the wires:
- MasterCard Offers to Work with the European Commission to Help Shape the Future of Payments in the EU - "While we support the Commission’s goals, we are concerned that some of the legislative proposals introduced today, such as the caps on interchange fees and restrictions on the Honour-All-Cards Rule, do not support these goals and will actually harm and inconvenience consumers and small merchants..."
- Visa Europe Statement in response to European Commission publication of proposals around interchange regulation and Payment Services Directive - "There is little evidence to support the claims that these proposals will be beneficial to consumers."
- American Express Statement on the European Commission Proposals for Regulation of Card-Based Payment Transactions - "In all, the proposals could affect the pricing and operations of the European payments industry over an extended period of time. Some of the changes would impact us directly; some, indirectly."
- D+H Announces Agreement to Acquire Harland Financial Solutions - "The acquisition enhances D+H's competitive position as a leading North American financial technology ("FinTech") provider to larger financial institutions, community banks and credit unions."
- SocialPrepper Launches New Facebook App "BitCoin" - "Facebook users can accept BitCoin as a donation using SocialPrepper's new Facebook app 'BitCoin'."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- We've redesigned our web site - be sure to check out the fresh new look at glenbrook.com!
- Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp! - A special summer session of our popular Payments Boot Camp - in Half Moon Bay on August 6th and 7th is ALMOST SOLD OUT! We're also leading a half day course on Data In Payments - August 8th, also in Half Moon Bay. Join Carol, Scott and Russ for lively, interactive sessions - register now!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
- Follow Glenbrook Partners on LinkedIn! -
- Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews