@dgwbirch At Efma retail payments week we concluded that the future is not so much a war for the wallet but for the handbag.— Simon Lelieveldt (@finhstamsterdam) October 21, 2013
On the web:
- Credit card purchases will give way to 'tap and go' - The Australian - "At Coles, six out of 10 MasterCard and Visa payments were contactless."
- Experian Sold Consumer Data to ID Theft Service - Krebs on Security
- Experian Identity Proofing Services Compromised; more bad news on the Data Broker front - Gartner (Avivah Litan) - "Frankly there is no easy alternative for identity proofing."
- Is Knowledge-Based Authentication Still Effective? - Portals and Rails Blog - "I recently attended a security conference where a panel of security authentication experts all stated that any extra protection KBAs provide is minimal."
- Loop: The Future Of Mobile Payments Or A Temporary Fix? - TechCrunch - "If mobile payments were this easy, though, why hadn’t someone launched technology like Loop’s years ago?"
- Simple to Launch Bluetooth-Based P2P Payments - NetBanker - "MoneyDrop provides a tangible leg up on other mobile banking apps, a moderate viral boost, and great publicity."
- Ask A VC: Greylock’s Simon Rothman On Disruptive Marketplaces, Greymarket And More - TechCrunch - "Rothman ... is spearheading Greylock’s new $100 million commitment to investing in marketplaces..."
- Google, Square thwarted by banks’ 1970s tech - MarketWatch - "Disco-era computers bedevil efforts to allow for instant money transfers..."
- Top Five Themes at Money2020 - Celent Banking Blog (Zilvinas Bareisis) - "My view is that of the leading contenders (PayPal, Isis, Google, scheme wallets), PayPal is showing the most promise today."
- Off the rails - Tomorrow's Transactions (Dave Birch) - "...if the schemes were to adopt a long-term strategy to shift to strong tokenization, then I cannot see why this would be restricted to e-commerce."
- American Express Tries Mobile Payments Without the Smartphone - "The company is introducing a program to allow customers to use points from its rewards program to pay for taxi cabs in New York."
- Plan Smart Now If You Want to Be Relevant in 2023 - Pymnts.com (Karen Webster) - "It’s just hard - and therefore time consuming - to line up all of the pieces in payments in order to affect change at the point of sale and getting consumers to play along – so you have to start early."
- NFC Enabled Devices to Exceed 500 Million in 2014 - Mobile Marketing Watch - "NFC has reached the point of no return..."
- Will Bitcoin have a positive impact on ecommerce? - Econsultancy - "However, the cost of receiving payments in Bitcoin is fraction of a credit card fee. It is a fast and cheap way to process transactions."
- How emerging markets are rewriting the online payments play book - VentureBurn (Tom Cleveland) - "When gauging the direction of market forces and their potential impact on your business model, be sure to factor in an analysis of the local payment system and how it is evolving."
On the wires:
- ShopKeep Q3 Brick and Mortar Retail Sales Up 20 Percent - Indicates Positive Outlook for Fall Retail Sales - "Q3 Same store sales for brick and mortar retailers using iPad point of sale (POS) software increased by 20 percent, with transactions up 13.6 percent over Q3 2012."
- New Research Indicates Holiday Shoppers Avidly Support Small Businesses - “Small businesses should be very encouraged by the results of Deluxe Annual Holiday Shopping Survey,” said Tim Carroll, vice president of small business engagement at Deluxe.
- MasterCard Travel Controller Empowers Companies to Regain Control of Travel Spending - "MasterCard Travel Controller offers travel management companies and their corporate clients the ability to reconcile expenses more quickly and securely..."
- Unwired Planet Charges Square, Inc. With Infringing Three Mobile Payment Patents - "In the complaint filed in Reno, Nevada, Unwired Planet charges Square with infringing three of its patents related to location-based services and mobile payments."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking on New Payments Regulation in Brazil at the International Money Transmitter Conference in Miami 4-7, 2013.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews