On the Web:
- First Data Reports First Quarterly Profit in More Than Seven Years - Wall St. Journal - "The return to profitability represents the early signs of a long-awaited reversal at a company that has been one of the largest and most troubled leveraged buyouts of the past decade."
- A Tale of Two Vintages: Credit Limit Management Before and After the CARD Act and Great Recession - Payment Cards Center - Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia - "This paper uses tradeline-level credit card data to examine initial credit limits and early credit limit increases before and after the Great Recession and implementation of the CARD Act."
- Star Silicon Valley entrepreneur: Here's why bitcoin will be bigger than the internet - Business Insider - "Wences Casares: I think bitcoin may very well be the best form of money we've ever seen in the history of civilization."
- Coming Soon To The Person In Line, In Front Of You: The Horror Of The EMV User Experience Fail - Medium (Brian Roemmele) - "With the EMV UX Fail, consumers will have little choice but to get to know and understand payment card terminals and not only determine if one needs to Dip or swipe, but also locate the proper slot, orient the card correctly..."
- Your Starbucks card can now be reloaded with Apple Pay - iMore.com - "You can now use Apple Pay to quickly reload your Starbucks Card. Touch ID makes it faster than ever."
- Apple Pay will be embraced by 38% of major retailers by end of 2015, study claims - VentureBeat - "BRP believes, however, that 38 percent of large retailers in North America will be supporting Apple Pay by the end of this year, and that Apple Pay will be the most widely used mobile payments platform among large retailers."
- Google is reportedly testing a service that will let you pay by saying your initials - Business Insider - "The experimental service, called "Plaso," is only being used by Google employees as of now..."
- Citigroup hires Swann as technology head for cards, payments businesses - Reuters - "Citigroup Inc hired Matt Swann to be head of technology for its global cards and payments businesses... Swann had been general manager of payments for Amazon.com."
On the Wires:
- UnionPay International and TD Merchant Services Sign Agreement to Expand UnionPay Card Acceptance in North America - "As the UnionPay network continues to expand in the overseas market and the services keep improving, UnionPay cards have become outbound Chinese travelers' first payment choice and are currently accepted by over 80 percent of the local ATMs and tens of thousands of merchants in Canada," said Larry Wang.
- JetPay Helps WePay Launch in Canada - Bill Clerico, chief executive officer of WePay stated: “When we decided to expand internationally, Canada was the first market we wanted to support outside the U.S., and JetPay had the ability to help us get there quickly and successfully.”
- U.S. Bank Names Amy Hurd Head of In-Store and On-Site Banking Division - "U.S. Bank has the largest in-store and on-site branch network in the country, with 873 branches at grocery stores, airports, corporate and college campuses."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Payments for the Unbanked on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews