On the Web:
- Apple on privacy, security and identity - Benedict Evans - "But if Apple did connect the dots to create an identity product, and could remove enough friction and pain to make it compelling, then talking about privacy would make much more sense, because at that point privacy, security and identity become part of the same product conversation."
- Big Layoffs Begin at eBay and PayPal - Re/code.net - "The cuts come a few weeks after eBay announced it would cut 2,400 jobs across the entire company by the end of the quarter."
- Small Banks Score Gains in Lifting Regulation - Wall St. Journal - "Since the 2010 Dodd-Frank law ushered in a spate of new regulations, community bankers have fanned out across Washington to emphasize the differences between small “Main Street” banks focused on local lending and Wall Street firms they say are fixated on transaction volume."
- Does Bitcoin still matter? - CBS News - "Bitcoin has a sales job to getting people to trust it, which is ironic because it was set up to be a trustless system," said Paul Vigna...
- Cash Is Definitely Not King For Card-Carrying Swedes - NPR - "Around the world, cash is fading. Electronic transactions are becoming a bigger part of the economy every year. And one of the leaders in this trend is Sweden, where more than 95 percent of transactions are digital."
On the Wires:
- Visa Inc. Appoints Vasant M. Prabhu as Chief Financial Officer - “After a thorough global search, we are thrilled to have Vasant join the Visa leadership team,” said Charlie Scharf, Chief Executive Officer of Visa Inc. “Vasant is a seasoned executive with a wealth of experience across a wide range of global businesses. His financial leadership, operational abilities, strategic focus and global mindset will be extraordinarily valuable to us, as we continue to grow our business around the world.”
- ETA Launches Digital Currency Showcase at TRANSACT 15 - "ETA is at the forefront of payments technology, and TRANSACT 15 is our industry's most important event," said Jason Oxman, CEO of ETA. "With the launch of our World of Bitcoin showcase, and our partnership with BitPay to accept bitcoin payments, TRANSACT 15 is now the place to be for digital currency in 2015."
- Xoom Launches Instant Money Transfer Service to China, Processed Through UnionPay - "This instant bank deposit service allows Chinese immigrants with a U.S. bank account, credit card, or debit card to conveniently send money online to most bank accounts in China within seconds. With the addition of China, Xoom’s money transfer service now reaches 31 countries worldwide."
- ATMIA Releases the Results of Its New ATM Channel EMV Readiness Survey - "One of the key findings of the survey is that, as of the end of 2014, 65% of respondents report having at least one ATM capable of handling EMV transactions. This is more than a four-fold increase over the April, 2013 results, which found that only 12% of operators could make that claim. Further, 61% of all operators anticipate that by the end of 2016, which is the general timeframe of the first domestic liability shift for ATM acquirers, the vast majority of their ATMs will be capable of handling EMV transactions."
- Millennials Make 2015 the Year of the Milestone - "It’s been widely reported that for many Millennials, “30 is the new 20,” with many delaying major life milestones, like full-time employment, marriage and having children. However, recent data from the American Express Spending & Saving Tracker suggests that as the economy continues to recover, Millennials will make 2015 a year of major purchases and life experiences."
- U.S. Bank Announces 2015 "Dynamic Dozen" - “We place tremendous value on the potential of the millennial generation and this group is instrumental in making U.S. Bank relevant to current and future millennial customers and employees,” said Kent Stone, vice chairman of consumer banking for U.S. Bancorp, and one of the program’s executive sponsors.
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Payments for the Unbanked on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews