On the Web:
- With McD’s Using Apple Pay, PayPal Scoops Up Burger King For Fast Mobile Sales - TechCrunch - "PayPal — Apple’s burgeoning rival in payments — has inked a deal with McD’s long-time fast-food competitor, Burger King, to power a mobile payment service at its chain of restaurants..."
- PayPal Exec Leaves to Take Compliance Lead at Bitstamp - "PayPal chief compliance officer (CCO) Jean-Baptiste Graftieaux has revealed that he has left his current position at the global payments giant..."
- From “cash only” to NFC-ready, how we buy determines what we buy - ArsTechnica - "Thus, expect mobile payment options and adoption to only continue growing. Only, the oncoming narrative may change, becoming how much safer your purchases are with services like Apple Pay."
- Circle Launches Mobile Apps for iOS and Android - CoinDesk - "Unlike other mobile bitcoin wallets out there, Circle's offerings integrate with banks and credit card accounts to allow both deposits and withdrawals."
- For Apple Pay to Thrive, Small Businesses Must Adopt - StreetFight - "For a mobile wallet to really impact consumer behavior, its acceptance has to be ubiquitous — not just in the Targets and Macy’s of this world, but in our local bodegas, mom-and-pop shops, independent coffee shops and food trucks."
- How Starbucks is leveraging mobile to drive holiday foot traffic - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Another way that Starbucks will use mobile to drive in-store traffic includes the launch later this year of mobile ordering, which will be debuts in Portland in December and will roll out nationwide next year."
On the Wires:
- Consumers Can Now Use Their Barclays, Navy Federal & USAA MasterCard in Apple Pay - "Owners of the new iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 can now use their U.S. MasterCard consumer credit or debit cards from Bank of America, Capital One, Citi, Wells Fargo, Barclaycard, USAA and Navy Federal Credit Union through Apple Pay."
- Apple Pay Now Available for U.S. Bank Customers - “We couldn’t be more pleased to see this day arrive for our customers,” said Dominic Venturo, chief innovation officer at U.S. Bank. “Providing our customers the ability to securely pay where, when and how they want is a central theme for our payments business. Enabling our customers to use Apple Pay is the perfect example of how we bring that philosophy to life.”
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks Adds American Express-Branded Cards to Award Winning Credit Card Lineup - “Adding American Express to the family of FlexPerks Rewards credit cards is part of our FlexPerks legacy of finding new and better ways to help customers earn rewards faster with value they can recognize,” said Cliff Cook, senior vice president for U.S. Bank’s retail credit card division.
- Elavon Delivers Apple Pay, EMV & Security Solutions - "Our investments in mobile and other innovative technologies are now paying off for our customers: when a business is trying to accommodate the consumer who wants to pay with their smart phone, and the next person in line who presents a chip-embedded EMV card, they know they can rely on us to help them make the sale with enhanced security and a great customer experience.”
- Verifone and MasterCard Bring Card-Linked Offers to Las Vegas for Money 2020 - "Targeted offers from merchants, in this case The Hard Rock Café on the Vegas strip, the Bali Hai and Royal Links golf courses and Dream Racing at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, are displayed to taxi passengers on VNET–Taxi TV screens integrated with Verifone payment terminals."
- Visa Selects Bangalore as Site for New Technology Center - India is fast becoming a global technology epicenter with an incredible pool of technology talent,” said Nitin Chandel, Senior Vice President of Visa’s Developer Platform based in India.
- TSYS Creating a More Open Technology Environment to Power Innovation - "TSYS’ strategy leverages the scale of TSYS’ mainframe and distributed systems to connect with 3rd platform technologies including mobile, cloud, big data and social technologies."
- Ingo Money to Acquire Fuze Network, Inc. - "Fuze enables its partners to add cash to more than one billion bankcards including credit, debit and prepaid cards. For example, a consumer cashing a check at a physical location can then disburse funds directly to the cards in their wallet."
- LoopPay Launches New Mobile Payment Product Line, Accepted At 40X More Places Than Apple Pay - "The LoopPay CardCase can be purchased today for $49.95 for the iPhone 5/5s, 6 and 6 Plus, while Android users can purchase a standalone LoopPay Card accessory that is available separately for $39.95."
- Verifone Reinforces Mission with New Brand Voice and Identity - "The Verifone brand reflects our vision and commitment to clients, while also speaking to our continued growth and leadership as a company as we pave new paths towards the future of commerce.”
- Ingenico Mobile Solutions Launches the First Native mPOS Tablet App with Support for All Transactions Types: Magstripe, EMV and NFC - "This new version features a completely redesigned User Interface (UI) and is the first and only native tablet application for both iOS and Android that supports all mobile payment transaction types and all acceptance methods: magstripe, NFC, EMV chip & PIN, and EMV chip & sign."
- BofA Merrill Announces Enhancements to Global Card Capabilities for Companies and Public Sector Clients - “Improved transparency and tighter control over expenses continue to be hot topics for organizations of all sizes in every region around the world,” said Percy Batliwalla, head of Sales for GTS. “As card programs grow in efficacy and sophistication, they are becoming an increasingly powerful tool for treasury departments – providing them the granular information they need to better manage and forecast their finances.”
- CPI Card Group Launches CPIMobile™ with Sequent - "Sequent will enable CPI to deliver to global banks and other issuers a digital issuance solution that allows them to participate in almost any mobile wallet deployment, leveraging both Secure Element (SE) and Host Card Emulation (HCE) capabilities, and to enable their own banking apps for payments."
- CPI Launches First EMV Prepaid Cards to Canadian Market with Berkeley Payment Solutions - “The Canadian market has already successfully migrated to EMV for financial debit and credit cards, benefiting from a significant reduction in fraud,” said Steve Montross, president and CEO of CPI Card Group. “Berkeley Payment Solutions has remained at the forefront of driving continuous innovation for its customers, and now, by extending EMV for Prepaid, truly demonstrates the company’s ability to anticipate and deliver solutions to meet the needs of its customers.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop will be held Nov 19 in New York City
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews