Glenbrook Meetup in Chicago - Wednesday, Feb 25
- Glenbrook's Carol Benson and Erin McCune will be in Chicago next week and will be hosting a Glenbrook Meet Up on Wednesday the 25th. We hope you can join them and network with other friends of Glenbrook. Click here for details on registering for the Meet Up.
On the Web:
- So, you want to start a payments company? - VentureBeat (Danny Shader) - "Today, the new opportunities to make money are not in payments processing but in leveraging technology to get around the incumbents’ lock on distribution or scale. The most successful businesses use payments as the “excuse” or “hook” that gives them permission to solve other hard problems that customers are willing to pay for."
- Mobile Commerce Poised to Eclipse Traditional Online Spend - “We are on the cusp of the mobile-first era,” said Anuj Nayar, senior director of global initiatives for PayPal. “At PayPal we’ve seen our mobile growth rise from less than one percent of our payment volume in 2010 to more than 20 percent in 2014.”
- Apple Pay is now the number one mobile payment solution at Staples - "Apple Pay has been one of the most successful implementations when it comes to payments."
- Banks to allow account access using fingerprint tech - BBC News - "Two banks are allowing their customers to access accounts on their smartphones using fingerprint recognition technology, in a UK industry first."
On the Wires:
- Samsung to Acquire LoopPay, Transformative Digital Wallet Platform - “This acquisition accelerates our vision to drive and lead innovation in the world of mobile commerce. Our goal has always been to build the smartest, most secure, user-friendly mobile wallet experience, and we are delighted to welcome LoopPay to take us closer to this goal,” said JK Shin, President and Head of IT and Mobile Division at Samsung Electronics.
- WorldRemit Raises $100M Funding Round to Drive Global Growth - WorldRemit founder and CEO, Ismail Ahmed said: “I am delighted that TCV is joining WorldRemit in our mission to enable the seamless movement of money between people across borders. We have an amazing opportunity to shake-up a stale industry and to save our customers time and money. We are taking money transfers into the mobile age, where people send from apps and receive on Mobile Money services.”
- Digital River Commissioned Research Reveals How Ecommerce Leaders Solve Challenges of International Direct-to-Consumer Sales - "The study, which was commissioned by Digital River and conducted by Forrester Consulting, reveals how digital commerce decision makers in the U.S. and U.K. are weighing and solving the challenges of global commerce expansion."
- Commerce.Innovated. from MasterCard and Silicon Valley Bank Returns - “We’re meeting incredible entrepreneurs in the fintech space through this program, helping them navigate potential roadblocks and getting to their next milestone with advice and connections in the payments space,” said Reetika Grewal, head of Silicon Valley Bank’s payments strategy.
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Payments for the Unbanked on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews