On the Web:
- Cellphones for Women in Developing Nations Aid Ascent From Poverty - New York Times Dealbook (Melinda Gates) - "When women have access to digital financial services, it is easier for them to invest in the future of their families. That benefits everyone, because healthier, more educated children today mean healthier, more prosperous communities tomorrow."
- Dear Diary: My Week Wearing an Apple Watch - New York Times - "I picked up my Apple Watch last Wednesday atApple headquarters in Cupertino, Calif."
- RuPay cards of all PSBs now e-commerce enabled: NPCI - Economic Times - "The RuPay cards, launched by the RBI-promoted NPCI, are alternative to foreign cards like Visa and MasterCard, which earn high revenue for facilitating transactions. There are 140 million RuPay cards in use at present."
- Indian Payments Startup MobiKwik Nabs $25M From Tree Line, Cisco, AmEx And Sequoia - TechCrunch - "New Delhi-based MobiKwik has pulled $25 million in funding, led by Singapore-based hedge fund Tree Line Asia. The deal included participation from a couple of interesting strategic investors — Cisco and American Express."
- “Microsoft Payments” may join Apple, Android, Samsung in pay platforms - Ars Technica - "In February, Microsoft quietly applied for licensing to be a money transmitter in all 50 states as well as an assortment of current and former US territories."
- UK launch of digital bank Fidor hamstrung by payments providers - The Telegraph - "The big four - Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds and RBS - act as sponsor banks with direct access to payments systems. None has accepted Fidor as a customer."
- Former Goldman Exec Wants to Upend the Way the World Moves Money - Bloomberg - "Uberoi is the CEO and top individual stockholder of Earthport , a London-based company that’s built a cloud-based alternative payments network."
- Introducing the Bitcoin Hackathon v2 - Coinable Blog - "We’re pleased to announce the second Coinbase Bitcoin Hackathon, with $70,000 worth of prizes and judged by leading Bitcoin experts and investors. Developers from around the world are invited to build a bitcoin-integrated application and to submit it for consideration by May 19th, 2015."
On the Wires:
- Apple Pay Coming Soon to You: New Banks & Credit Unions Implement Mobile Payment Service for MasterCard Cardholders - “People are passionate about their devices and they’re ready for their connected devices to do more – including acting as a commerce device – as is evident by the positive reception and uptake of Apple Pay,” said Matt Barr, group head, U.S. Emerging Payments MasterCard. “Consumers want to be able to shop where they want, when they want and how they want – and they want to do so with the confidence that their money is safe and secure no matter how they choose to pay. Issuers are delivering on this by enabling their cards within emerging payment platforms like Apple Pay that deliver consumer choice.”
- U.S. Bank Offers Prepaid Card Services for the American Red Cross - “Our prepaid card conversion to U.S. Bank will enable the American Red Cross to leverage technology in new ways,” said Steve Casey, corporate treasurer of the American Red Cross. “Most importantly, this new card technology will help the Red Cross deliver its mission more efficiently in communities across the country.”
- Western Union Enables Skype Customers to Top up at Locations across the U.S. - Western Union’s Odilon Almeida, President, Americas and European Union, said, “The relationship is a logical one, as both Western Union and Skype have a mission to connect people when they are apart. “Western Union is optimizing its money transfer system to link cash and digital for money movement and payments across the globe. We are driving our innovation on the back of what our customers want. Skype is a classic example; where customers can enjoy full digital access with a walk-in payment option,” he said.
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Update!
- Our payments education schedule for 2015 is now available. Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding a one-day Insight Workshop on April 16 following the New York Boot Camp on the topic of Faster Payments. On May 19-20, we will be holding a Payments Boot Camp in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews