What I'm Reading
- This week your editor has been enjoying reading America's Bank: The Epic Struggle to Create the Federal Reserve by Roger Lowenstein.
- From the description: "A tour de force of historical reportage, America’s Bank illuminates the tumultuous era and remarkable personalities that spurred the unlikely birth of America’s modern central bank, the Federal Reserve. Today, the Fed is the bedrock of the financial landscape, yet the fight to create it was so protracted and divisive that it seems a small miracle that it was ever established. "
- How about you? What are you enjoying? Drop me a quick note and tell me about it: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the Web
- Omidyar Network Leads Investment in Technology that Enables Central Banks to Issue Digital Fiat Currency - Omidyar Network Blog - "Omidyar Network announced today a for-profit investment in eCurrency Mint (eCM), a Dublin-based company that has pioneered a new technology that enables central banks to issue digital fiat currency, called eCurrency."
- India’s E-Commerce Startups Throw Caution to the Wind - Wall St. Journal - "E-commerce companies are burning through hundreds of millions of dollars in India, offering deep discounts to shoppers on everything from smartphones to statues of Hindu gods ..."
- Send money to anyone in your contact list with Google Wallet - Google Commerce Blog - "No email? No problem! Now you can send money to anyone in your contact list using just a phone number."
- Payment Instrument Adoption and Use in the United States, 2009–2013, by Consumers' Demographic Characteristics - Federal Reserve Bank of Boston - "Previous literature that examined the association between consumer payment behavior and consumer demographic information was based on data from a single time period. This paper contributes to the literature on this topic by reporting, for the first time, demographic trends in consumer adoption and use of several payment instruments over the period of five consecutive years from 2009 to 2013."
On the Wires
- Samsung Offers Samsung Pay Users the Chance to Spend a New Year’s Eve with Usher - "From December 10 through December 21, shoppers who activate Samsung Pay at one of the nearly 50 mall locations across the U.S. will have the chance to win two round-trip tickets to Los Angeles, hotel accommodations and a New Year’s Eve concert and party."
- Digital River Partners with Japan-Based Ecommerce Provider, NSW - “Our strategic alliance with NSW will easily allow our shared customers to enter geographies outside of their home markets and establish themselves as local merchants. Our partnership will also help them reduce the risks of global ecommerce and ultimately accelerate time to revenue,” said Humphrey Chan, vice president and general manager of Asia Pacific for Digital River.
- CashStar Platform Helps Top Brands Deliver Engaging Gift Card Promotions this Holiday Season - “Beyond the ever growing popularity of gift cards among consumers, marketers are embracing gift cards to a greater extent for their strategic value to help drive revenue when used as promotional incentive.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!