ON THE WEB
- Visa, Wal-Mart Move to Speed Checkout for Customers With Chip-Enabled Cards - Wall St. Journal - "The moves are a reflection of the widespread consternation that has greeted the new cards, which offer better security than the older ones but require more technology that slows transaction speeds."
- Visa: Some merchants see dip in fraud thanks to chip cards - USA Today - "Among the 25 merchants who were suffering the most instances of counterfeit fraud at the end of 2014, five that began processing credit and debit cards equipped with the new EMV technology saw those infractions fall 18.3% as of the final quarter of 2015..."
- Collaboration and Consensus Are Essential to Harnessing Blockchain - Michael Bodson (DTCC) - "In this opinion piece, Bodson writes about the need for collaboration among post-trade industry stakeholders as blockchain and distributed ledger applications see further testing and development."
- Alipay Owner to Start Shanghai IPO Process as Soon as 2016 - Bloomberg - "Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.’s finance affiliate is planning an initial public offering on Shanghai’s main board in what could be China’s highest IPO valuation since 2010..."
- Online merchants urged to focus on mobile payment solutions - South China Morning Post - "Online merchants are being urged to implement payment services tailored for mobile checkouts as more and more consumers in China and across Asia shop with their smartphones."
- Central banks and digital currencies - speech by Ben Broadbent - Bank of England - "This morning I’m going to talk about money. This should be a routine topic for a central banker, particularly one whose job title includes the word “monetary”. It’s nonetheless ground on which one treads with a bit of trepidation."
ON THE WIRES
- Visa Speeds Up Checkout Times with new Quick Chip for EMV - “Visa is advancing a streamlined approach to chip transactions to make them faster and more efficient, while still providing a safe and secure experience,” said Mark Nelsen, senior vice president of Risk Products and Business Intelligence, Visa Inc. “Quick Chip for EMV helps make the checkout experience comparable to the ease and speed of magnetic stripe transactions.”
- Moneris Partners with Womply to Offer Business Analytics Solution to Merchants - “We believe in equipping our partners, like Moneris, with the most powerful solution available to enable its merchants to grow, protect, and simplify their businesses,” said Cory Capoccia, President at Womply. “Through our partnership with Moneris we can offer their merchants the best technology with this game changing platform.”
- Total Merchant Services Opens Its EMV Chip Card Payment Technology to All Developers - "Groovv SDK is easy to implement and frees developers to spend their time and energy building business-growing software features instead of worrying about the nuts and bolts of processing payments," said Joe Kaplan, CEO of Total Merchant Services. "We remove the need for software to go through the costly and time-consuming EMV certification process, and for developers to comply with PCI data breach and other enhanced security standards."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!