ON THE WEB
- Rethinking remittances: Epiphyte’s vision on improving the way we move money - Visa Europe Collab - "Epiphyte provides a blockchain powered software as a service (SaaS) solution that delivers instant settlement and DVP (delivery versus payment) for financial trades. It performs a transaction known as an atomic transaction, which executes all of the different parts of the transaction at the same time."
- Accept ACH payments - Stripe Blog - "ACH payments on Stripe cost 0.80%, capped at $5, with no monthly fees or verification fees. So, a $100 transfer incurs a $0.80 fee; any transfers above $625 cost $5."
- Life in Japan: Where cash is king (or rather the shogun) - Katie Anderson - "One of the surprising things about moving to Japan is how much the country Japan remains a paper-money based society. It’s hard to believe how much cash I carry around – and go through – every week!"
- Silicon Valley: We Don’t Trust FICO Scores - Wall St. Journal - "A new generation of lenders is challenging the usefulness of one of the bedrocks of the modern financial system: the FICO score."
- Same-day or ‘Real-Time’? How the Changing Speed of ACH Payments Affects Financial Institutions - Deluxe Blog - "The U.S. ACH network is a textbook case of “good being the enemy of great.”"
- A Strategist’s Guide to Blockchain - Strategy+Business - "At its heart, blockchain is a self-sustaining, peer-to-peer database technology for managing and recording transactions with no central bank or clearinghouse involvement."
ON THE WIRES
- Wells Fargo Launches Third Propel American Express Card - “In 2014, we launched our first two Propel American Express Cards as part of our goal to earn more of our customers’ business,” said Beverly Anderson, head of Consumer Financial Services for Wells Fargo. “Since then, we have heard from our customers that they like the Propel 365 Card and Propel World Card but wanted us to find a way to offer a card with similar features without paying an annual fee – so that’s what we did.”
- More Leading Merchants Choose Visa Checkout to Increase Online and Mobile Sales - "Starbucks, Walgreens, NFL Shop, HSN and Match are among the new merchants taking advantage of Visa Checkout’s ability to deliver seamless digital payments. Walmart.com will also begin supporting Visa Checkout this year."
- Introducing Uber Trip Experiences - "During the holidays, we completed our billionth trip. Added together that’s a lot of time riders spend in an Uber. Which got us thinking … what if developers could also offer users of their apps new ways to enjoy themselves — or get stuff done — while they’re on the road?"
- FreedomPay Expands Global Products and Services on Microsoft Azure - "With this collaboration, FreedomPay offers end-to-end protection for credit card payments made through FreedomPay’s Commerce Platform, which is supported by Azure. The FreedomPay Commerce Platform is the world’s first PCI-Validated P2PE payments solution with EMV, NFC, DCC and real-time data capabilities that can deliver on a global scale."
- Remitly Approaches $1 Billion in Annualized Mobile Money Transfers as Company Continues Rapid Growth - "Remitly offers money transfers from the United States to the Philippines, India and Mexico, which alone account for more than 35 percent of all remittances originating in the United States. The company will continue to take a customer-focused approach by focusing on the largest markets as it expands globally."
- Network International to launch cashless, cardless and mobile-free payment solution - "The next generation solution, led by Dubai Smart Government (DSG) and developed by Quisk, will be deployed by Network International across its points of sale (POS) merchant network in the United Arab Emirates in 2016, enabling people to conduct payment transactions without the use of cash, cards or their mobile phones."
- Payments in Portland (OR) - Join us Thursday, January 28th from 5:30-7:30 PM to hang out with your colleagues and competitors to discuss all things payments! We'll have appetizers, Oregon beer and wine. For the first time, Payments in Portland is including a short topical briefing - this month on "B2B Payments - Promise and Problems." If you have a Portland payments presence and something to say on B2B payments, let us know! RSVP HERE!
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!