On the Web:
- Visa In $21bn Bid To Merge US, European Units - Sky News - "The American payments giant Visa has tabled a $21bn (£13.4bn) offer to acquire its European sister company in a deal that would crystallise huge windfalls for some of Britain's biggest banks."
- Mobile Banking and Mobile Payment Practices of U.S. Financial Institutions: Results from 2014 Survey of FIs in Five Federal Reserve Districts - Federal Reserve Bank of Boston - "A new report from the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston's Payment Strategies team offers insights into the mobile banking practices and mobile payment plans of banks and credit unions in five Federal Reserve Districts: Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Minneapolis, and Richmond. The report presents the consolidated findings from a joint survey that was conducted in the third quarter of 2014."
- Credit Scores Are Rising, and Becoming More Visible - New York Times - "The national average FICO score is now 695 — the highest it has been in at least a decade, according to the latest analysis from Fair Isaac Corporation, the score’s creator. Nearly 20 percent of consumers now have scores above 800."
- Apple Posts New iPhone Advert: “Apple Pay” - MacStories.net - "The new advert, "Apple Pay", naturally focuses on Apple Pay, demonstrating Apple's contactless payment method available on the iPhone 6 in the US and UK."
- Forking hell - Economist - "The dispute is as ideological as it is technical. The Bitcoin community has a process to settle such controversies, but it is by design slow and produces decisions only when everybody is happy."
On the Wires:
- Affirm Financing Now Available to Shopify Merchants - "Affirm, the financial technology company led by PayPal Co-Founder Max Levchin, today announced that Buy with Affirm, a payment option for consumers, is now available to merchants on Shopify, a leading cloud-based multichannel platform. The integration will provide Shopify’s U.S. merchants with the ability to offer shoppers installment financing at checkout."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for October 13-14 in Palo Alto, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 15 on the topic of Global Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!