The team worked hard to setup a Typhoon Haiyan Relief and Recovery action. All fees are waived. Donate here http://t.co/ogINGm6zya— David Marcus (@davidmarcus) November 11, 2013
Today we honor those who served our country and fought for our freedom. Thank you. Happy Veteran's Day!— Alliance Data (@AllianceData) November 11, 2013
On the web:
- Kopo Kopo: Building the “Square of Africa” amid terrorism, monopolists, and huge opportunity - PandoDaily - "Kopo Kopo is announcing a $2.6 million series A round of capital, led by Javelin Venture Partners, with Accion Venture Lab and existing investor Vinod Khosla’s Impact Fund."
- Android KitKat is bad news for telcos’ NFC ambitions - Technology Spectator - "Simply put, in a cloud-based SE environment, telcos no longer play an inherent role in NFC payments, so they risk facing disintermediation and insignificance in the mobile payments space."
- Euromonitor Interview Series: The Rise of Beacon Technology and Prospects of it Displacing NFC (Part 1) - Euromonitor - "The original concept was really about retail. We wanted to do a better version and less-expensive version of NFC and really work more from a consumer environment side."
- Google Quietly Testing Offline Store Visits Tracking - "Google is reportedly using location in the background (on Android and iOS) and its database of business locations (my guess) to determine when people visit stores."
- The Most Secure Password In The World Might Be You - NPR All Tech Considered - "You're probably well-acquainted with one of life's little annoyances: the password."
- Smartphone PIN revealed by camera and microphone - BBC News - "The software watches your face via the camera and listens to clicks through the microphone as you type."
- IMTC Conference Review – Industry Disruption: New Payment Protocols - MSB Talk - "My main take away: New technologies are beginning to disrupt the money transfer industry."
- Online Shopping Marathon Zooms Off the Blocks in China - New York Times - "Alibaba, the largest online retailer in China, said in advance of the promotion that it expected to sell more than 30 billion renminbi, or about $5 billion, worth of goods on Monday ..."
- Rules Force Banks to Innovate for Survival - NY Times Dealbook - "The biggest challenge for banks is finding innovative ways to increase revenue. On this front, banks have a patchy record."
- Credit cards – can't live with them, can't live without them - The Guardian - "The catch: no credit cards meant no credit."
- American Express Teams Up With Mightybell To Connect Small Businesses With Each Other Locally - TechCrunch - "With Shop Small Neighborhood Circles, Mightybell and American Express are hoping to help local merchants connect to each other for the holiday shopping season and beyond."
- Shopify officially integrates bitcoin as a payment option for its 70,000+ merchants - CoinDesk - "Popular e-commerce platform Shopify announced earlier today it would add a bitcoin payment option for its sellers."
- Credit-Card Application Rules Eased - Wall St. Journal - "On Nov. 4, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau lifted a restriction that had prevented stay-at-home partners, among other people, with access to cash but no individual income, from applying for credit."
On the wires:
- Debit Cards End 20-Year Trend Of Gaining Share Against Credit Cards According to The Nilson Report - "The more than 20-year trend that had debit card purchase volume and purchase transactions gaining share versus credit cards ended in 2012, according to The Nilson Report, a leading payment industry newsletter."
- Opus Global Hires Goldman Sachs Financial Technology Industry Veteran Julio C. Quinteros, Jr. Named Senior Vice President - “Julio has a well-established track record at Goldman Sachs and will bring Opus Global significant industry expertise, public market knowledge, and a global market perspective that align well with our efforts.”
- Amazon and the United States Postal Service Now Delivering Packages on Sunday, Making Every Day an Amazon Prime Delivery Day - “If you’re an Amazon Prime member, you can order a backpack for your child on Friday and be packing it for them Sunday night,” said Dave Clark, Amazon’s vice president of worldwide operations and customer service.
- World First set for major expansion after securing FTV Capital investment deal - "World First UK Limited, a leading provider of foreign exchange, international payment and hedging solutions to corporate and private clients, has today announced that they have closed a significant minority growth equity investment, which will allow the firm to rapidly accelerate plans for further expansion in the coming years."
- FIME Accredited by Visa to Deliver VMPA Testing
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Glenbrook's Jacqueline Chilton will be speaking social media and payments at the W.net Northern California LINC Networking event being held November 14 at Google.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews