On the Web:
- Meet Square’s Francoise Brougher, Jack Dorsey’s New Secret Weapon - Recode.net - "At Square, Brougher will be relied upon to turn the innovative company into a revenue and profits machine."
- My 2014 Wishlist for Digital Financial Services - NetBanker (Jim Bruene) - "That said, I do have a wish list for the new year. But don't confuse these with predictions."
- Will Target debacle spell demise of the debit card? - San Francisco Business Times - "Target's security breach that put at risk 40 million debit and credit cards could affect consumer acceptance of paying with plastic."
- Payment apps remove social aspect from transactions - San Francisco Chronicle - "When cash is transferred with eye contact, handshakes and all the rest, social pressures govern much of the transaction, just like eye contact and body language govern a conversation. When that's stripped away, we're just transferring bits..."
- Mobile Money: 10 Things You Need to Know CGAP Blog - "Mobile Money is a fast-moving space, and a lot happened in 2013. For those of you looking to catch up, here is our list of 10 things you need to know about mobile money."
- Credit Score, by Multiple Choice - New York Times - "Banks in 16 countries are using a psychometric test to predict future behavior — specifically, whether someone will pay back a loan. ... Now, a new partnership with MasterCard has potential to speed the model’s proliferation."
- 2013: The Year Merchants Learned to Love Bitcoin - CoinDesk - "When Satoshi Nakamoto flipped the switch on the first bitcoin client on 3rd January 2009, there wasn’t a single merchant for the product. Now there are thousands."
- Bitcoin Buys Burgers to Beer as Shoppers Go Virtual - Bloomberg - “I was fed up with the credit card process so it’s been nice to use Bitcoin,” Early said.
- PayPal May be Planning Virtual ‘Tokens’ According to eBay Patent Proposal - CoinDesk - "It appears that eBay may have designs on developing a new way to distribute monetary value within the digital realm."
- Seven Patents Reveal Apple's Larger Biometric Road Map - Patently Apple - "While Apple launched the iPhone 5S in September 2013 with the surprising Touch ID feature, Apple is already working on possible new ways of advancing biometrics in future devices..."
On the Wires:
- SWIFT announces 2013 rebate of EUR 33 million - "Through a combination of innovative operational efficiencies and robust volume growth", says SWIFT CEO Gottfried Leibbrandt. "SWIFT continues to pass on savings to users in the form of substantial structural price reductions."
- Use UnionPay Card for a Hotel Discount in Japan! - "When cardholders pay accommodation fees (total 10,000 JPY or more) with a UnionPay card at applicable hotels in Japan, they will receive a 1,000 JPY discount."
- Melissa D. Smith Assumes Role of CEO of WEX Inc. - "Smith joined WEX in 1997 and most recently served as president, with responsibility for the day-to-day operations of WEX on a global basis."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: [email protected].
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews