On the Web:
- eBay CEO: We Are ‘Actively Considering’ Bitcoin Integration - CoinDesk - “Exactly how that plays out, and how we can best take advantage of it and enable it with PayPal, that’s something we’re actively considering. It’s on our radar screen.”
- Square Grapples with the Payments “Poultry Problem” - PaymentsViews.com (Bryan Derman) - "As that venture investor had noted so long ago, in the networked world of payments, it’s not the chicken OR the egg; it’s the chicken AND the egg."
- Square Launches A $10 Per Month Customer Feedback Tool For Sellers - TechCrunch - "The company, which currently claims to deliver over 10 million digital receipts per month by email and text, will now enable business owners to ask their customers about their experience right from the receipt."
- Square's status? It's complicated - "We could be profitable tomorrow morning if we said, 'Lets not spend money to keep growing.'"
- Show Me the Money: The Best Apps to Pay Friends Back - Wall St. Journal - "Just Venmo me," my best friend's kid sister nonchalantly said, when I asked where to send the check for my share of the bachelorette weekend in Newport, R.I.
- Isis says it's averaged 20,000 New Isis Wallets per day over the last month - PaywithIsis.com - "As of today, 68 mobile devices across AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless support the Wallet. The Wallet now comes preloaded on 14 smartphones with more preloaded devices in the pipeline."
- TSYS holds Analyst Day in New York City
- Why order ahead is not the killer digital wallet use case - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Order ahead is less of a slam dunk for all merchants as it will require some merchants to dramatically change their in-store operations..."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard and PULSE to Enable Common Debit EMV Solution - "MasterCard and PULSE, a Discover Financial Services company, have reached an agreement that will allow financial institutions that issue EMV debit cards that participate in both the MasterCard and PULSE networks to use MasterCard’s common debit solution on those cards."
- Contactless Card Shipments Jump, Enabling Shoppers to Take Advantage of Everyday Payment Convenience - "In its annual review of the smart payment card market, the SPA reports that contactless technologies were present on over one-third (37 percent) of all smart payment cards shipped in 2013."
- INSIDE Secure Leads the Market for Mobile Applications Protection with Industry First Software Secure Element - “Hackers, malware and other security issues pose a significant threat to the mobile app ecosystem,” said Simon Blake-Wilson, executive vice-president of Mobile Security division at INSIDE Secure. “We are excited to bring together a broad range of best-of-breed security technologies and put ourselves at the forefront of applications protection.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews