On the Web:
- Credit Cards With 2% Rebates, While (or if) They Last - New York Times - "Against this backdrop, 2 percent cards available now differ just enough from one another to make it hard to say for sure which one is the best — and which, if any, may be unsustainable."
- Bitcoin Exchange Receives First License in New York State - New York Times - "New York State’s top financial regulator has granted the first license to a Bitcoin exchange, allowing it to open legally to customers across the country."
- USAA creates research team to study use of bitcoin technology - Reuters - "Alex Marquez, managing director of corporate development at USAA, said in an interview this week that the company and its banking, insurance, and investment management subsidiaries hoped the "blockchain" technology could help decentralize its operations such as the back office."
- Why the blockchain will radically alter our futures - Financial Services Club Blog - "Did you ever see anyone ever pay for anything on Star Trek?"
- Cash is king? Not in this part of the world - CNBC - "When it comes to embracing contactless payments, Asian consumers lead the way and are faster adopters than their peers in other more developed markets..."
On the Wires:
- Global Bitcoin Exchange itBit Today Starts Accepting U.S. Customers Nationwide Through New York State Trust Company Charter - “Our mission at itBit has always been to create a trusted, institutional-grade exchange and regulatory compliance is an important pillar of that mission,” said itBit CEO and co-founder Charles Cascarilla. “Regulatory approval from the NYDFS allows us to serve as a custodian for our clients’ assets and expand our services to U.S. customers – the largest market of bitcoin traders in the world – and allows us to do so with the highest standard of care afforded by any Bitcoin company.”
- Elavon Promotes Wally Mlynarski to Lead Global Product and Innovation - “Wally has been instrumental in driving Elavon’s efforts to bring some of our most sophisticated products and services to market that allow customers to engage consumers as they shop online, offline and via mobile devices,” said Simon Haslam, president and CEO of Elavon. “Wally’s new role speaks to his many talents as well as Elavon’s commitment to attract and develop the best talent in the industry.”
- NCR Modernizes Payments Infrastructure with Launch of Latest Version of Authentic - “We are committed to providing our customers with a modern, flexible payments infrastructure that will grow with them and enable them to respond to any demands the business places on them,” said Steve Nogalo, vice president and general manager of Payments Solutions at NCR. “With the latest version of Authentic, we have incorporated the flexibility of the Google Web Toolkit, as well as providing new features and enhancements to further improve usability and flexibility. With Authentic we constantly strive to deliver a solution that our customers can rely on today and in the future – whatever the future may bring.
- Green Dot Reports First Quarter 2015 Financial Results - ""These positive results represent our first full quarter of the new, consolidated Green Dot, inclusive of our acquisition of TPG and two smaller prepaid program managers, AccountNow, Inc. and Achieve Financial Services, LLC. Despite being negatively impacted by approximately $12 million resulting from fewer reload transactions attributed to the discontinuation of MoneyPak, we posted significant revenue and adjusted EBITDA growth during the period as a result of both the incremental revenue and EBITDA contribution from our new acquisitions and better-than-expected performance in our organic branded and private label account business."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for May 19-20 in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews