On the Web:
- A Better Credit Card - New York Times - "No technology can eliminate fraud. But chip-based cards can make it harder for criminals to profit."
- Klarna, an Online Payment System Popular in Europe, Eyes Global Expansion - New York Times - "The payment system, which for highly rated users is almost as easy as a handshake, has found legions of fans in Europe in the last 10 years."
- Coin apologizes to customers, won't charge beta users $30 to upgrade - CNet - "Coin, the makers of an electronic device that stores credit and debit card info, issued an apology to customers on Saturday after mishandling the announcement of a product delay."
- This Startup’s on a Mission to Save Us From Seedy Debt Collectors - Wired - "Backed by about $2 million in funding from the likes of Khosla Ventures, TrueAccord uses behavioral engineering and machine learning to automate the typically human-intensive process of debt collecting."
- Predicting Amazon’s Secret Plans in Physical Retail - Re/code.net (Jason Del Rey) - "The payoff could be significant if Amazon manages to convince a large number of physical stores to adopt the new payments hardware and checkout software..."
- Janet Yellen’s Fed is more revolutionary than Ben Bernanke’s ever was - Quartz - "From her position as the world’s single most powerful economic voice, the chair of the US Federal Reserve, Janet Yellen, is forcing the financial markets to rethink assumptions that have dominated economic thinking for nearly 40 years."
On the Wires:
- New Citi Wallet Simplifies Online Purchases - “As online spending continues to grow, we heard from our cardmembers that they want a faster way to make purchases online,” said Barry Rodrigues, Head of Citi Enterprise Payment Solutions. “Citi Wallet delivers this by reducing online checkout to just a couple clicks – whether they are purchasing a sweater, flowers or a new tablet.”
- Citi ThankYou® Points Transfer Takes off with 11 of the Most Elite Hotel and Airline Loyalty Programs
- Swisscard Deploys Entersekt’s Transakt Mobile App to Secure Card-Not-Present Purchases - “Swisscard’s partnership with Entersekt enables us to enrich our customer experience by eliminating use of passwords, which are less convenient and less effective against certain forms of fraud, in favor of an advanced one-touch mobile authentication process.”
- Synchrony Financial and Lowe’s Renew Credit Card Programs - “It’s been a privilege to work with the Lowe’s team over more than three decades to develop relevant payment options and features that enable consumer and commercial customers to make the home improvements they need and want,” said Tom Quindlen, EVP and CEO of Synchrony Financial’s Retail Card platform.
- Over 40 Million Driver’s Licenses Issued on Datacard® Solutions In One Year - “By leveraging our vast experience in all of our projects around the world, as well as listening to the needs of our partners and customers, we continue to bring to market secure, innovative solutions that ease the implementation and operational burden of critical projects and comply with all the changing standards,” said Michael Berman, vice president of government sales for Datacard Group.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money20/20 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews