ON THE WEB
- Walmart Pay and the overcrowding of the mobile payment market - Tradestreaming - "Allen Weinberg, a partner at Glenbrook Partners, a payment strategy consulting firm based in San Francisco, CA., cautioned Tradestreaming that it’s premature to mourn MCX or CurrentC, given that Walmart has not formally abandoned the initiative."
- Japan ATM heist reportedly involved 100 people who stole $12.7 million - ArsTechnica - "The thieves apparently went to ATMs like those found in 7-11s across Japan and swiped counterfeit South African credit cards, created using information from cards issued by South Africa's Standard Bank."
- Bitcoin Catches On With Gold Bugs - Wall St. Journal - "In times of financial turmoil, I would prefer to see a portfolio full of bitcoin,” said Mr. Sukumar, who holds about one-third of his wealth in the digital currency.
- Sydney Stock Exchange's blockchain system targets venture capital funds, commodities - Sydney Morning Herald - "Two-year-old Sydney Stock Exchange is building a blockchain settlement system to avoid high ASX fees and build a market for venture capital funds to exit their investments and commodities markets."
- What The Mark Of The Beast Taught Me About The Future Of Money - BuzzFeed - "Silicon Valley has sold us on a cashless, cardless, walletless, supposedly frictionless future — but as I learned living in it for a month, we’re not quite there yet."
- UK: Debit cards 'set to overtake cash' as most used payment method by 2021 - Telegraph (UK) - "Payments UK said card use is being boosted by the rising popularity of contactless "tap and go" payments, with mobile payment services such as Apple Pay and Android Pay also providing new opportunities for people to make payments without even needing their plastic to hand."
- M-PESA founders to receive Africa’s financial inclusion medal of honor - Capital Business - "Michael Joseph, the Managing Director of Mobile Money at Vodafone and previously, the CEO of Safaricom Limited, Nick Hughes Co-Founder M-KOPA and former Head of Mobile Payment Solutions at Vodafone and Susie Lonie Mobile Payments Consultant at SJL Consulting Services will receive Africa’s Financial Medal of Honor on 17th August at Serena Kampala."
- PayPal Co-Founder Peter Thiel Urges Class of 2016 to “Do What Hasn’t Been Done” - Hamilton College News - "He recalled that when the PayPal founders told members of the global financial industry about their plan, those with more experience were certain that the new company could never work. “They were wrong; people around the world now rely on PayPal to move more than $200 billion every year…We learned that doing new things is difficult, but it is possible,” Thiel remarked."
ON THE WIRES
- TSYS Introduces New Innovative Virtual Payment Solution - "TSYS Virtual Payment PreceptSM (VPP) is an innovative new solution that reduces risk, improves operational efficiency and greatly increases control over accounts payable and accounts receivable payments and reconciliation. VPP leverages existing TSYS technology with an improved processing design to deliver secure, virtual single-use accounts in real time with enhanced control over account and transactional base parameters."
- MasterCard Puts New Cutting-Edge Fraud Prevention Tool into The Hands of Small Business Owners - "With a mobile app and desktop dashboard, merchants can easily and quickly customize their fraud settings – such as transaction size, country of origin and repeat transactions. Simplify Controls then auto-declines transactions to meet their risk tolerance and provides merchants with smart alerts so they can stay on top of potentially fraudulent activity."
- BlueSnap & Kount Give Merchants the Data to Optimize Their Sales Funnel - "Anytime we can help merchants sell more things to more people in more places while reducing the risk of loss that is sometimes associated with increased sales, growth and expansion, everyone wins,” said Brad Wiskirchen, CEO, Kount. “The fact that BlueSnap has developed a report to assist their merchant base achieve these goals really shows the power of our collaboration.”
- INSIDE Secure’s MatrixHCE™ Integrates Visa’s Token Services for HCE Mobile Payments - “INSIDE Secure is thrilled to extend our relationship with Visa to deploy issuer wallets based on MatrixHCE, one of the first mobile payment solutions for banks,” said Andrew McLennan, executive vice-president of INSIDE Secure’s Mobile Security Division. “MatrixHCE future proofs investment into payment solutions by meeting the latest HCE standard and anticipating future requirements including updatable whitebox cryptography to protect tokens, code and data.”
- Payments UK: Debit cards to overtake cash payments by 2021 - "Cash was still the most popular payment method in 2015 accounting for roughly half (45.1%) of all payments. However it is predicted that by 2025 notes and coins will drop to being used for just over one in four (27%) payments. The tipping point for the most popular payment method will be reached in 2021 when 14.5 billion debit card payments are predicted, overtaking the forecast 13.0 billion cash payments for the first time."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!