On the Web:
- Redefining FinTech - Finsurgency (Matt Harris) - "The much more interesting opportunity in financial services isn’t selling to financial institutions, it is competing with them."
- Marketplaces and Money Transmitter Licenses - WePay Blog (Susan Dunn) - "Despite the apparent simplicity of acting as a merchant aggregator, marketplaces should proceed with caution."
- It's Long Past Time to Kill the Bank Branch - American Banker (Maria Aspan) - "Bankers have spent a lot of time discussing What We Should Do About Branches, without making many big decisions about what to do about, well, you know."
- Stripe's co-founder on visionaries vs. implementers - Fortune - "Collision, an avid reader and programmer, spoke to Fortune about what technology entrepreneurs and companies he finds most admirable, his laundry list of recently read books, and how to do important work."
- More change at Visa as Donovan leaves for health comms role - PR Week - "Visa communications SVP Ryan Donovan will depart the financial services giant at the end of this week to take on a senior communications role at electronic health record company Practice Fusion."
- Bitcoin: governments should tame it, not ban it - Telegraph - "The horse has already bolted. It is too late to lock the stable door, so governments need to try to tame the beast instead."
- Amazon Reportedly Buys Mobile Payments Startup Gopago, Working On An ‘Ambitious’ New Project - TechCrunch - "Looks like Amazon may have quietly made another acquisition, and another move to expand its role in the world of mobile..."
- The Bitcoin Boom - Forbes - "Not everyone is sold on bitcoins as an investment. Detractors argue that bitcoins have little or no real-world utility outside transactions on online black markets."
- Additional Sources Confirm China’s Payment Processor Ban, Bitcoin Price Falls $200 - CoinDesk - "Bitcoin dipped to its lowest price in a week, following yesterday’s reports that the People’s Bank of China had banned third-party payment firms from dealing with bitcoin exchanges."
- By reading this article, you’re mining bitcoins - Quartz - "What bitcoin miners actually do could be better described as competitive bookkeeping. "
- Finland’s short-lived experiment using gingerbread cookies as currency - Quartz - "Bitcoin may have its problems, but it is still a more solid alternative currency than one introduced in Finland today."
- Eurostar taps iZettle for on-board upgrades - Finextra - "Eurostar is now using iZettle's Chip & PIN readers on-board its fleet of trains to process payments for passengers wishing to upgrade their travel class..."
- Reflecting Acquiring-Industry Changes, the ETA Rebrands Its Annual Conference as ‘Transact’ - Digital Transactions - "The rebranding around the “Transact” name, according to ETA chief executive Jason Oxman, reflects the acquiring industry’s evolution beyond simply supplying credit and debit card acceptance to merchants."
On the Wires:
- Starbucks Anticipates Busiest Day of the Year for Starbucks Card Purchases - "With many schools and businesses preparing to break for the winter holidays this week, Starbucks (NASDAQ:SBUX) anticipates record purchases and activations of Starbucks Cards on Thursday, December 19."
- Blackhawk Network Announces New Gift Card Partnership With Coinstar - "The partnership offers Coinstar customers a selection of certain Blackhawk Network's popular eGifts for no fee when they cash in coins via the Coinstar coin-counting kiosks."
- Business Banking Review Names U.S. Bank Mobile Photo Bill Pay "Best Technology Initiative in Banking" - "Our customers are interested in using their smartphones to do everything from checking their balances or paying a bill to depositing checks and sending money to other people. And more recently, to use their phone's camera to image their bills and card statements to pay bills and transfer card balances."
- Discover Financial Services Joins FIDO Alliance to Accelerate and Simplify User Authentication and Make Transactions More Secure - “Discover is committed to the continued improvement of universal authentication standards. We look forward to contributing the resources and expertise to these discussions on stronger authentication and more secure methods.”
- Datacard Group Announces Agreement to Acquire Entrust Inc. to Strengthen Trusted Identities and Transaction Security - "Datacard Group, the industry’s best-selling brand of secure identification and card personalization solutions, has entered into an agreement to acquire Entrust, Inc., a leader in securing digital identities and information and a Thoma Bravo LLC portfolio company."
- Near Field Communication Forum Announces New Vice Chairmen, Trevor Pavey and Alexander Rensink - "Trevor Pavey of Broadcom Corporation and Alexander Rensink of NXP Semiconductors"
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews