ON THE WEB
- Goodbye, Password. Banks Opt to Scan Fingers and Faces Instead. - New York Times - "Some of the nation’s largest banks, acknowledging that traditional passwords are either too cumbersome or no longer secure, are increasingly using fingerprints, facial scans and other types of biometrics to safeguard accounts."
- Hyperledger Project Adds 7 New Members - Hyperledger - "Hyperledger Project, a collaborative cross-industry effort created to advance blockchain technology, announced today that seven new members have joined to help create an open standard for distributed ledgers for a new generation of transactional applications."
- Coinbase adds support for PayPal and Credit Cards - Coinbase Blog - "To start, we’re offering PayPal cash-out for US users only. In the future, we hope to add support for other countries, and to support buys through PayPal as well."
- The Failure of Coin - Medium (Ben Einstein) - "When it comes to hardware startups, there are two types risk that are manageable on their own, but when combined often spell failure: technical risk and product risk."
- India: Visa issues more than a million contactless cards - Economic Times - ""Contactless is the future of payments in India. Since its launch, Visa payWave has gained strong momentum and wide merchant acceptance."
- Samsung Takes a Different Approach to Mobile Payments - Fortune - "“We’re a hardware company, and at the end of the day I think what we’re trying to do is get people who hold (one of) our phones and use it…to just love it more,” Elle Kim, global vice president of Samsung Pay, told Reuters in Sydney."
- Microsoft brings mobile payments to that Windows 10 Mobile user - Inquirer - "Oddly, the service is available only on Windows 10 handsets in the US where contactless payments are not yet widely accepted, as opposed to in the UK where most retailers support the NFC-based service. "
- Android Pay Prepares to Show a Map of Nearby Locations that Accept Payments - XDA Developers - "...Google has left some hints within the APK file of the latest update that point towards a new feature that will use your current location and pull up a map activity to show you nearby stores that accept Android Pay."
- National Bank of Kazakhstan to Announce a List of Blockchain Projects Soon - NewsBTC - "It has been speculated that the Kazakhstan’s national bank might want to utilize the blockchain technology to improve inter-transactions between its branches, a project that sounds similar to the famous R3 global banking consortium. Another possible use case revolves around the use of distributed ledger technology for the implementation and tracking of Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Know Your Customers (KYC) regulations among the banks."
ON THE WIRES
- American Express To Update U.S. Fraud Policies To Limit EMV Chargebacks for Merchants - “Combating fraud is an ongoing priority for American Express,” said Mike Matan, Vice President, Global Network Business, American Express. “We recognize the migration to EMV in the U.S. is an effort that will take time, which is why we are making these policy changes in order to provide flexibility to those merchants that may need more time to upgrade their point-of-sale terminals to accept EMV chip cards.”
- More Financial Institutions Join Ripple’s Global Network - "Santander, UniCredit, UBS, ReiseBank, CIBC, National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD), and ATB Financial are among the latest banks to adopt Ripple to improve their cross-border payments."
- Consumer Credit Defaults Show Slight Decrease According to the S&P/Experian Consumer Credit Default Indices - "Overall the consumers' credit picture is very good," says David M. Blitzer, Managing Director and Chairman of the Index Committee at S&P Dow Jones Indices. "Consumer credit default rates continue at the lowest levels in more than 10 years and well below those seen before the financial crisis."
- Wirecard and Verifone Partner to Bring Complementary Payment Services and Solutions to Fast-Growing Indonesian Market - "The five-year strategic alliance brings together the technology portfolio and geographic strengths of both companies through in-country companies like Wirecard’s PT Prima Vista Solusi and locally established Verifone teams, to enable financial institutions, retailers and various industry verticals to benefit from best-of-breed payment solutions."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
COMING UP IN ATLANTA ON FRIDAY, JULY 15
TAG FinTech presents: Lunch & Learn on Real Time Payments - After years of discussion, the notion of faster payments in the U.S. is rapidly becoming reality thanks to the efforts of the Federal Reserve's Payments Improvement Task Force and its participating firms. These new systems could fundamentally change how we think about person to person transfers as well as business payments. Of these efforts, The Clearing House's real-time payments initiative is among the furthest along and most ambitious. Get the details on its functionality, rollout and potential uses. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry is moderating the session.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!