On the Web:
- Home Depot Hackers Exposed 53 Million Email Addresses - Wall St. Journal - "The hackers behind the massive credit card breach at Home Depot Inc. got into the retailer’s systems by using a username and password they had stolen from a vendor..."
- Costco Said to Weigh Dropping AmEx as U.S. Card Partner - Bloomberg - "In September, Costco struck a deal with Capital One Financial Corp. and MasterCard Inc. to issue co-branded credit cards in Canada when the retailer’s contract with AmEx ends this year."
- Apple Just Invented A New Bank Marketing And Advertising System Hidden Inside Of Apple Pay - Quora (Brian Roemmele) - "The system is rather easy to overlook and is currently being used just for basic status reporting. Thus far only American Express seems to be using it."
- Apple Pay is a win for (smart) retailers - CNN Money - "But adopting Apple Pay is actually a strategic move for better customer tracking in the long run, Abraham said. If shoppers are more attached to their phones, then it's easier to communicate with them in stores via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals."
On the Wires:
- Mastercard to Acquire TNS’ Payment Gateway Business - "MasterCard will acquire TNS’ eCommerce and card-present payment gateways, which will become part of the DataCash payment gateway suite. With the addition of TNS’ Payment Gateway Services, DataCash will be able to drive additional growth of the eCommerce category – and use of MasterCard-branded products – in North America and Latin America."
- TSYS Releases White Paper on the Multilateral Interchange Fee (MIF) Regulations Impacting German Banks - "TSYS today announced the release of a white paper titled “How Issuers in Germany Can Replace Threatened Interchange Fees.” The paper explores the financial threat to German issuers of proposed changes to the Multilateral Interchange Fee (MIF) regulations in the European Union, and outlines initiatives to support additional revenue growth."
- BluePay Announces Acquisition of Caledon, a Canadian Payment Technology and Processing Company - “We are very excited about the acquisition of Caledon,” said John Rante, BluePay CEO. “Caledon’s great reputation, direct connections to the card brands, and B2B focus will allow BluePay the opportunity to increase our payment acceptance capabilities for Canadian and U.S. merchants, as well as enhance our technology.”
- GSMA Introduces Code of Conduct for Mobile Money Providers - "The GSMA today launched a Code of Conduct for Mobile Money Providers, outlining a series of common business principles to enable the development of safe and responsible digital financial services. The first mobile network operators (MNOs) to endorse the Code are Airtel, Avea, Axiata, Etisalat, Millicom, MTN, Ooredoo, Orange, Telenor, Vodafone and Zain."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop will be held Nov 19 in New York City
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews