On the Web:
- Introducing Snapcash - Snapchat Blog - "Today is a big day for us - we are launching our first product created in partnership with another company. We’re huge fans of the folks at Square and have been big admirers of Square Cash since it launched – just type a dollar amount into the subject line of an email and send cash to friends. Genius!"
- Venmo update lets you pay with Touch ID directly from your bank - GigaOm - "The newest version of its iOS app will support Touch ID, letting newer iPhone and iPad owners bypass personal identification numbers and instead authorize payments with their thumbprints."
- Apple Just Made A Deal That Should Put App Store Sales On Steroids - Business Insider - "Apple added China UnionPay as a payment option for the App Store in China."
- Apple Pay Gives Glimpse of Mainstream Appeal for Mobile Payments - New York Times - “Apple Pay has been a huge tailwind,” said Michael Abbott, chief executive of Softcard, a mobile wallet backed by AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon.
- United Pushes Frequent Flyers to Use Miles for Airport Food, Booze - BusinessWeek - "...starting today, United (UAL) will take the next logical step and allow its 95 million Mileage Plus members to use miles in lieu of money to pay for food and drinks at the carrier’s Newark (N.J.) hub."
- Lord & Taylor expands iBeacon program to all US stores - Mobile Commerce Daily - “The results were so good on the pilot program that Hudson’s Bay will expand it to 50 stores in the United States and 90 in Canada by end of this month,” said Ryan Craver, the former senior vice president of corporate strategy at Hudson Bay Co.
- Linked-In, Sun Microsystems Founders Lead Big Bet On Bitcoin Innovation - Wall St. Journal - "The company, known as Blockstream, aims to enhance bitcoin’s “blockchain” — the distributed, public ledger that is the defining technological feature — and turn it into a universal platform for multiple new applications that go far beyond the digital-currency payments for which bitcoin is best known."
- Ex-Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit: Digital Currencies are Spawning Innovation - CoinDesk - "Former Citigroup chief executive Vikram Pandit has come out in favour of digital currencies, stating they have potential to change the world."
- President of MasterCard Canada shares how she climbed her way to the top - Globe and Mail - "Here, Betty K. DeVita shares some of the secrets to her success, including why the corporate ladder is really more of a jungle gym."
On the Wires:
- Apple Adds UnionPay Payment Option for App Store Customers in China - “The ability to buy apps and make purchases using UnionPay cards has been one of the most requested features from our customers in China,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “China is already our second largest market for app downloads, and now we’re providing users with an incredibly convenient way to purchase their favorite apps with just one-tap.”
- Blockstream closes $21M seed round - "I’m excited to announce today Blockstream closed a $21 million seed round. Our nearly 40 investors include many well-known pioneers of the Internet and financial services sectors."
- Scripps Networks Interactive and Hearst Magazines Create Original Cross-Platform Content Partnership to Support the Launch of the Citi® Double Cash Card - "Citi, Scripps Networks Interactive and Hearst Magazines today announced a cross-platform marketing relationship that presents seasonal cooking, entertaining and gifting ideas across Food Network and HGTV digital and magazine properties to support the launch of the Citi Double Cash Card."
- MoneyPass Network Partners with MasterCard on U.S. Common Debit AID Solution - “Our collaboration with MasterCard will enable the MoneyPass Network to process chip-based ATM transactions on MasterCard Debit cards,” said Troy Cullen, President of Elan Financial Services. “We are confident the agreement we have reached with MasterCard will further expand EMV adoption goals within the United States."
- Dollar General Now Accepting American Express - “We strive to provide our customers with a simple and hassle-free shopping experience,” said Todd Vasos, Dollar General’s chief operating officer. “The acceptance of the American Express card makes shopping even easier by offering additional flexibility in customers’ payment choices and is consistent with many of our new initiatives, including DG Digital Coupons, which are all aimed at making it easy to save time and save money at Dollar General.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop will be held Nov 19 in New York City
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews