On the Web:
- Square launches service offering small businesses instant deposit of payments — for a fee - San Francisco Business Times - "Square said sellers using its app will be able to click a button for instant deposit of balances between $50 to $2,500, paying a 1 percent fee."
- Samsung Introduces New Phones and Mobile Payment System - New York Times - "To win over consumers, Samsung is promoting the security features of Samsung Pay. It uses a technology developed by credit card companies called tokenization, which does not require transmitting a person’s credit card numbers when paying for things. (Both Android Pay and Apple Pay use this technology as well.)"
- Salesforce Adds E-Commerce To Its Community Cloud - TechCrunch - "By introducing the ability to make purchases directly from those communities, Mike Stone, the senior vice president of marketing for Salesforce Community Cloud, said the company is enabling “a whole new evolution of social commerce.”"
- Do You Have Change for a Bowie? The Advent of Artisanal Cash - New York Times - "As Bitcoin, PayPal and other electronic forms of payment grow in popularity in the global economy, cash in a growing number of places — not only Bristol and Brixton, but also Amsterdam; Ithaca, N.Y.; and elsewhere — is becoming quite literally an artisanal object."
- Alternative Currencies Flourish in Greece as Euros Are Harder to Come by - Wall St. Journal - "TEM—a sophisticated form of barter whose name is the Greek acronym for Local Alternative Unit—was founded in 2010 in the early months of Greece’s debt crisis with less than a dozen members."
- FAQ: What you need to know about chip-embedded credit cards - Computerworld - "Some industry analysts say chaos will ensue because chip cards take a few seconds longer to read than magnetic stripe cards, and some customers and store clerks will be unfamiliar with how to use them."
- Send and Receive Money with PayPal through BBM – Q&A with PayPal - Inside Blackberry - "BBM and PayPal have teamed up to make sending and receiving money through your BBM Chats even easier. Just connect your PayPal account to your BBM. Once your BBM contacts do the same, you can start sending and receiving money – it’s that simple."
- Boku Acquires Mobileview Italia In Further Carrier Billing Consolidation - TechCrunch - "The purchase gives Boku access to all four of the major mobile carriers in Italy — Telecom Italia Mobile, Vodafone, Wind, and 3 (Hutchinson) — covering more than 87 million mobile subscriptions."
- Business Book Award longlist: must-read titles of 2015 - FT.com - "The promise and perils of technology dominate the longlist for this year’s Financial Times and McKinsey Business Book of the Year Award."
On the Wires:
- Samsung Announces Launch Dates for Groundbreaking Mobile Payment Service: Samsung Pay - "Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., unveiled today that Samsung Pay, a secure and easy-to-use mobile payment service that can be used to make purchases nearly everywhere cards are accepted, will launch in Korea on August 20 and in the U.S. on September 28. Samsung plans to roll out the service in the U.K., Spain and China, with partners to be named in each market."
- Synchrony Financial Enables Private Label Credit Card Benefits Through Samsung Pay - “We continue to make our cards valuable to consumers, retailers and merchants and are pleased to securely offer the benefits of our private label credit cards through Samsung Pay,” said Margaret Keane, president and CEO of Synchrony Financial. “Through our ongoing innovation and strategic partnerships, we have developed a mobile platform that we can rapidly integrate with providers’ wallets while preserving the value of Synchrony Bank’s private label credit cards and patented Dual Cards for whichever mobile wallet our partners and customers choose.”
- Samsung Joins the Visa Digital Enablement Program - “Samsung Pay is now one more way consumers can make secure payments based on tokens -- technology that is quickly becoming the standard for safe mobile payments,” said Jim McCarthy, Executive Vice President of Innovation and Strategic Partnerships at Visa. “Similar to how Samsung Pay is reaching mass merchant acceptance on day one, VDEP is making it easy and cost-effective for payment providers, financial institutions and technology companies like Samsung to take full advantage of token technology and bring secure mobile payments to consumers everywhere.”
- Discover to Bring Samsung Pay to Cardmembers - “Discover remains committed to providing cardmembers with simple, convenient and versatile payment options,” said Diane Offereins, Discover’s president of payment services. “Adding Samsung Pay expands our ability to offer innovative and secure mobile payment services, enhancing the customer experience that cardmembers have come to expect from Discover.”
- Heartland, VersaPay Help Merchants Move to Electronic Invoicing - "Heartland Payment Systems and VersaPay have announced they are collaborating to help merchants improve their accounts receivable through a cloud-based software solution utilizing the Heartland Portico™ Gateway and VersaPay ARC® platform."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for October 13-14 in Palo Alto, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 15 on the topic of Global Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!