ON THE WEB
- Thunder, Lightning and Interledger - Medium (Adrian Hope-Bailie) - "It’s still very early to tell, but on first appraisal, it looks like Blockchain has taken a great stride in fixing a major limiting factor of Bitcoin and one that made it very difficult to use Bitcoin with Interledger; transaction speed."
- Android Pay wants to streamline Web payments and customer signups - ArsTechnica - "In a call with Ars on Tuesday, Senior Director of Product Management for Android Pay Pali Bhat said that the Android Pay team has been working to increase user signups and encourage continued use of the platform, something that all mobile payment platforms have struggled with in the last five years."
- Google Home: A Voice-Activated Device That Already Knows You - New York Times - “Before I got an [Amazon] Echo I thought it was a joke and a bad idea,” said Gene Munster, an analyst with Piper Jaffray. “But I saw the utility and ended up buying five of them for my family.”
- Android Pay now in the UK, new countries on the way - Android Official Blog - "You will be able to use Android Pay everywhere contactless payments are accepted including your favourite high street stores like Boots, Starbucks and Waitrose and pay for the Tube, bus and train with Transport for London."
ON THE WIRES
- Chime Brings Apple Pay to Members, Adds 'Pay Friends' Feature and Closes $9MM in Financing - "The mobile banking company also closed an additional $9 million of funding and has raised a total of $21 million to date. Lauren Kolodny, recently named to the Forbes 30 under 30 Venture Capital list, led the financing for Aspect Ventures and has joined Chime's board."
- Vocalink Signs Deal With Unionpay International - "Under the deal, VocaLink will provide ATM transaction processing and UnionPay sponsored access, providing acquirers with a fast go to market solution, which allows them to accept transactions from a growing market. On average, the value of UnionPay card withdrawals from UK ATMs are five times the average value of UK ATM withdrawals."
- ATM is a New Skimmer: Crooks Bring ATMs on Their Side - "The Skimer group starts its operations by getting access to the ATM system - either through physical access, or via the bank's internal network."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!