On the Web
- How the payments industry is being disrupted - McKinsey - "Setting aside changes in macroeconomic fundamentals that are difficult to predict, we foresee four potential disruptions that will alter the payments landscape in the coming years..."
- Digital Currencies - Bank for International Settlements (BIS) - "Such technology may have potential to improve some aspects of the efficiency of payment services and financial market infrastructures (FMIs) in general. In particular, these improvements might arise in circumstances where intermediation through a central party is not currently cost-effective. This report considers the possible implications of interest to central banks arising from these innovations."
- iPhone - Guided Tour: Apple Pay - YouTube - "See how easy it is to set up Apple Pay and make quick, secure and private payments from your iPhone."
- New Visa ad campaign for Apple Pay starts today in the UK with ‘anticipation’ theme - 9to5Mac - "Alongside a MasterCard promo offering free travel in London, Visa Europe is today launching a two-month long ad campaign designed to emphasize the speed, ease and reliability of the service."
- Samsung will give you a $50 Best Buy gift card if you activate Samsung Pay - 9to5 Google - "Samsung really wants you to use its new payments service, and they’re even willing to give you a $50 Best Buy gift card if you get on board."
- U.S. travelers in Cuba can now use Stonegate Bank debit card - Miami Herald - "Pompano Beach-based Stonegate Bank announced Thursday that it will offer customers a debit MasterCard that can be used in Cuba by Americans who qualify to visit the island under one of 12 categories of travel approved by the U.S government."
On the Wires
- Diebold and Wincor Nixdorf to Combine, Creating Premier Self-Service Company for Financial and Retail Markets - “The rate of change we see in our industry is unprecedented, and by leveraging innovative solutions and talent from both organizations we will have the scale, strength and flexibility to help our customers through their own business transformation,” said Andy W. Mattes, Diebold president and chief executive officer (CEO). “Our new company will be well positioned for growth in high-value services and software -- particularly in the areas of managed services, branch automation, mobile and omnichannel solutions -- across a broader customer base."
- UnionPay Ranks No.1 among All Newly-issued Bankcards in Hong Kong - "According to the latest data, the commercial banks in Hong Kong are very enthusiastic about issuing UnionPay cards. In 2014, UnionPay credit cards took up over 50% of all credit cards newly increased by various brands locally. Over 90% of the debit cards in circulation are UnionPay cards."
- U.S. Bank Supports United States Marine Corps Toys for Tots Campaign; Announces Additional Donation Opportunity with Apple Pay - “U.S. Bank is focused on making it easier and more convenient for our customers to do business with us and the businesses where they shop,” said Cliff Cook, Senior Vice President for U.S. Bank Retail Payment Solutions. “This holiday season, we’re encouraging customers to try using Apple Pay™ and at the same time support the Toys for Tots campaign. Joining us in promoting this additional donation opportunity with Apple Pay are more than 140 small businesses in the Twin Cities and we appreciate their support.”
- Chase Visa cardholders can now use Samsung Pay - “Samsung Pay gives our customers another convenient way to pay with their Chase Visa credit, debit or Chase Liquid® cards,” said Gavin Michael, Head of Digital for Chase. “They choose how they want to pay.”
- Chase Freedom Survey Reveals Americans’ Holiday Shopping Habits; Cardholders Can Earn 10% Cash Back at Amazon.com Starting 11/23 - "In time to help holiday shoppers tick through shopping lists while saving time and earning cash back that can be put toward something fun for themselves, Chase Freedom will offer cardholders an extra 5% cash back (for a total of 10%) on up to $1,500 in new combined purchases at Amazon.com, Zappos.com, Diapers.com and Audible.com from November 23 through December 31."
- Samsung Pay Adds Eight More Credit and Debit Card Issuers Including Chase - "Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. announced today that Samsung Pay, the most accepted mobile payment system, now supports eligible Chase Visa® credit, debit and Liquid® cards, as well as debit and credit offerings from MasterCard issuers: Citizens Equity First Credit Union, Randolph-Brooks Federal Credit Union, Security Service Federal Credit Union, State Employees’ Credit Union, SunTrust and Virginia Credit Union."
- Xero launches Apple Watch app - "Expanding on Xero’s apps for iPhone and iPad, Xero for Apple Watch also enables business owners to Xero in on bank transactions to see who's paid them, and the amount."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for Palo Alto, California on December 1-2 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on December 3 on the topic of Digital Payments. Registration for both sessions is open and available now.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!