On the Web:
- Now, Nations Mull the Ways to Regulate Bitcoin - New York Times Dealbook - "A relatively easy regulatory change would be to bring Bitcoin under the purview of Japan’s Payment Services Act..."
- The Sale of Simple: The Bank and the Anti-Bank - New Yorker (David Wolman) - "While the banking world is wondering whether BBVA should have acquired Simple, some of Simple’s users have a different concern: that Simple sold its soul."
- The Payments Challenge for Mobile Carriers - "For some industry watchers, carriers have yet to convince Western consumers that mobile payments offer an improvement over the likes of credit cards and Internet banking."
- Chase enters crowded mobile wallet space, rounding out its mobile strategy - Mobile Commerce Daily - “Perhaps just as important will be focusing on building merchant acceptance, without which utility of wallet for customers is severely limited.”
- Knox Payments launches with $900K to speed up painfully slow online check-outs - VentureBeat - "According to Knox Payments cofounder Tommy Nicholas, his service allows users to “make ACH transactions without having to know your account and routing number..."
- A Letter To Senator Manchin - A VC (Fred Wilson) - "We should approach Bitcoin in exactly the same way and if we do, I expect the benefits we will see will be equally important, impactful, and beneficial to our economy and our society."
- Bitcoin's Mt. Gox: At Look at the Man in Charge - "Less than five years later, the Frenchman faces accusations his company has lost hundreds of thousands of dollars for customers of his bitcoin exchange, Mt. Gox..."
- How Bitcoin Smashes Mobile Payments Barriers - Bitcoin Foundation (Jon Matonis) - "In just five short years, bitcoin has unequivocally demonstrated that we don’t need kings to coin our money and we don’t need central banks issuing debt-based paper notes and deciding what our money should be."
- It’s Time To Give Up On Swiping Credit Cards - ReadWrite - "Ultimately we may need a system that combines cards and phones. For example, what if I could tap a card and then enter a one-time PIN sent to my smartphone?"
- Mark Zuckerberg And The Future of M-Commerce - Ericsson Open Money Blog - "Our recent film “On The Money” examines the role of mobile technology in the Networked Society and how it opens up a whole new world of possibilities and opportunities, especially when it comes to money and finance in general."
- Fred Wilson on Bitcoin: ‘There Is Blood in the Streets’ - Wall St. Journal - "Bitcoin’s architecture is similar to the Internet’s architecture. There is no centralized control point. No single point of failure.”
- How To Prove That Exchanges Really Have Your Money - CoinDesk - "Maxwell’s proposal uses a node – think of it as a leaf on a tree – with two things in it: a hash indicating the specific account, and a value of bitcoins in that account."
- Paypal says Samsung fingerprint payments 'very secure' - Sydney Morning Herald - "It's not storing your fingerprints locally. It takes your fingerprint, encrypts it, sends it to PayPal, they decrypt it, checks it's the same, and then you're authenticated. It's very, very secure."
- There’s a Spot in Hell Reserved for Bank Overdraft Fees - Bloomberg Personal Finance - "No one likes to confront a personal weakness and have to pay for it at the same time. It's numeric proof that people are as flawed as the banks are banking on them to be."
On the Wires:
- Dash Raises an Additional $1.2 Million Seed Round and Announces New IOS 7 App Update - "Dash also released today a iOS 7 update for the Pay with Dash app that incorporates location-aware BLE to automatically check-in patrons as they walk into a venue."
- Nok Nok Labs Raises $16.5M in Series B Financing from Lenovo, DCM and ONSET Ventures - "We're very excited to be working more closely with Lenovo as a strategic partner given the rapid expansion of mobile devices and services in the Chinese market and Lenovo's global reach."
- TSYS Expands Relationship with Commerce Bank - "The multi-year agreement includes renewed processing for Commerce’s consumer, commercial and retail credit card portfolios, as well as its signature debit portfolio."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York; May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews