ON THE WEB
- Square’s Loss Widens in Its First Report as a Public Company - New York Times - “We are off to a great start with fourth-quarter results that demonstrate both high growth and strong operating performance,” the company said in a statement.
- When Will We Be Able to Say That Cashless Payments Have Finally ‘Arrived?’ - Street Fight - "Why now are companies and consumers alike not only poised to benefit from cashless payments, but ready to take them mainstream?"
- ExxonMobil speeds up gas station transactions with payment app - Mobile Commerce Daily - “We are proud to accept Apple Pay now from within our Speedpass+ app, which makes paying for fuel and car washes at the pump quick and convenient.”
- Using Selfies to Market Your Financial Institution - Deluxe Blog - "If you’re not using the selfie as a marketing tool for your financial institution, you are missing a golden opportunity to expand your digital footprint and connect with consumers on a more intimate level."
- EMV Doubters Should Consider Emerging Innovation to See Brighter Future - TMG Blog - "Not everyone is so eager to hop on the EMV bandwagon though. The holdouts cite a trivial change to current fraud numbers, low merchant acceptance and adoption rates and no “real” benefits as reasons to avoid the conversion."
ON THE WIRES
- TSYS Appoints Pamela Joseph President and COO - “I have known and done business with TSYS for more than twenty years and am thrilled to be joining the team. TSYS clearly has best in class technology platforms and a blue chip customer roster. I look forward to driving additional client and partner benefits through product innovation and service enhancements,” commented Joseph.
- Early Warning Launches Real-Time P2P Payments with Bank of America, U.S. Bank - “Bank of America is committed to being a leader in payments and making it easier than ever for our clients to manage their finances,” said Thong Nguyen, president of retail banking at Bank of America. “We’re focused on creating a simple, straightforward person-to-person payments experience that lets our customers pay anyone with a couple of easy, intuitive steps.”
- UnionPay International Accelerates Mobile QuickPass Expansion Overseas--180,000 POS terminals ready - "Nearly 180,000 POS terminals in Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore accept UnionPay chip cards with "QuickPass" signage and various mobile QuickPass-enabled products. The overseas transaction volume of UnionPay QuickPass grew 8 times in 2015, and is growing rapidly this year."
- Leading UK Online Retailer Shop Direct Uses FICO Technology to Help Prevent Fraud - "As the UK's second-largest pure-play online retailer, we're protecting not only our revenues and our customers but also our brands," said Neil Chandler, Shop Direct's CEO for Financial Services. "We have a very successful partnership with FICO for fraud protection, customer management and decision optimization. FICO analytics and tools are exactly what we need to protect our customers."
- Chargebacks911: New Technologies Fuelling Rise In Customer Chargebacks - “The pressure on banks to resolve disputes faster is causing an imbalance in an industry that is almost always favourable to the consumer. 50% of cardholders who file a dispute will do it again within 90 days. This essentially means that issuers and cardholders are being rewarded for initiating illegitimate chargebacks, with processors ultimately penalised along with their merchants.”
- FTC Action Leads to Court Orders Against Scheme That Charged Millions of Dollars to Consumers' Bank and Credit Card Accounts Without Their Consent - “These defendants bought sensitive personal information from data brokers and used it to steal people’s money,” said Jessica Rich, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “Misusing sensitive data causes real harm to consumers, and I’m pleased that the court banned the defendants from this conduct.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - New York City - April 5-6
- Insight Workshop - New York City - Global Payments - April 7
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!