Notice of Hearing on Virtual Currencies, Including Potential NYDFS Issuance of a ‘BitLicense' http://t.co/BuAUGlklAj— NYDFS (@NYDFS) November 14, 2013
On the web:
- Finally, a New Way to Pay in Stores That People Might Actually Use - AllThingsD (Jason Del Rey) - "Enter Coin, a startup out of Y Combinator that has built a prototype of a card that it claims can store all of your credit, debit and loyalty card information on one Coin card that can be used to pay on mainstream point-of-sale systems."
- Wallet hack: can Coin replace your credit cards? - The Verge - "Coin works using a patent-pending magnetic strip that changes on demand."
- Inside Coin's techie vision for the all-in-one credit card - CNET - "Coin is hoping to slide itself into the space between a disruption-oriented company like Square and the paper and plastic world still governed by ATMs, Visas, and MasterCards."
- Hire of Raj Date Boosts Bitcoin Credibility - Wall St. Journal (Robin Sidel) - "Mr. Date, 42 years old, said he became interested in the bitcoin phenomenon after delving into the traditional money-transfer business while working at the CFPB..."
- Bitcoin Couple Travels the World Using Virtual Cash - Wall St. Journal (Paul Vigna) - "For the Craigs, bitcoin represented a chance at adventure—and an underground movie career."
- Bristol researchers work to secure next generation chip-card payment technology - University of Bristol - "Dr Gaven Watson from Bristol’s Department of Computer Science will be presenting a paper at the prestigious Association of Computing Machinery's Conference on Computer and Communications Security (ACM-CCS) sharing the details of a study that validates the proposed protocol design to be used in future EMV chip cards."
- Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia - Payments Card Center - New Discussion Paper Released: Funding Credit Card Loans: Current and Future Considerations - "This paper examines several factors influencing credit-card-issuing banks’ decisions about how to fund credit card loans."
- What's the point of plastic banknotes? - Economist - "By 2016 the Bank of England wants Britain to give up paper money and use plastic cash instead."
- Can't take cards, don't want cheques? Post Office launches new payments service to help small businesses make more money - Daily Mail (UK) - "The Post Office has launched a new card payment service to help sole traders and small businesses, which it hopes will plug a 20 per cent revenue gap between firms that accept card payments and those that don't."
On the wires:
- Circle Internet Financial Names Prominent Consumer Finance Executive Raj Date to Board of Directors - "Circle Internet Financial, a digital currency company, today announced that Raj Date, one of the country’s most prominent leaders in consumer finance, will join the company’s board of directors."
- OpenMarket Introduces Support for Two-Factor Authentication in Mobile Engagement Platform - "By utilizing the 2FA capabilities in OpenMarket's Mobile Engagement Platform, CIOs and other IT decision-makers can leverage out-of-band authentication via mobile devices to provide secure access, consumer identity protection and fraud prevention."
- Discover Financial Services Announces an Alliance with Smartlink Network to Expand Acceptance in Vietnam - “Discover’s relationship with Smartlink captures the true essence of our global expansion strategy, which is to leverage our unique set of assets to grow volume and support the growth of local leading international networks,” said Diane Offereins, President of Payment Services at Discover.
- U.S. Small Businesses Take Cues from Major Retailers With Early Holiday Promotions, Ink from Chase Survey Reveals - "A new survey of small business owners released today from Ink from Chase shows that like major retailers, small business owners are preparing for the holiday rush even earlier this year..."
- New Survey from American Express and CFO Research Reveals Predictions for New Technology Investments - "Three-quarters of respondents (76%) say that their companies will need to make better use of mobile technology over the next year."
- Deezer Partners with Boku to Offer Operator Billing to Customers in Germany - "With this partnership, Deezer offers music fans in Germany the ability to subscribe to Deezer’s Premium and Premium+ offer using their mobile phone. Subscribers will then be charged on a recurring monthly basis directly on their mobile phone bill." Friendly Fraud vs. True Fraud: Chargebacks911 Says $100 Billion Problem Leaves Everyone at a Loss - "Chargebacks911 co-founder, Monica Eaton-Cardone, estimates that about 10 percent of all chargebacks are related to actual fraud or identity theft situations, leaving the large majority resulting from instances of low customer satisfaction, consumer ignorance, or malicious intent."
- Calpian, Inc.'s Indian Subsidiary Money-on-Mobile Announces October Increases in Retail Merchants and New Customers - “Money-on-Mobile showed a strong gain in revenue per user, which suggests that our core user base is conducting larger transactions such as utility payments."
- YESpay and PMC Announce Strategic Partnership - "With YESpay mobile payments solution built-in, PMC will ship its recently announced Store Enabler mobile solution."
- PaySpan Appoints Payments Industry Veteran Cheryl King as CFO to Support Continued Expansion - "Her prior Group CFO role at First Data Corporation demonstrates experience and skill in growth management from early stage to Fortune 50."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews