ON THE WEB
- Data Analytics, Lending, and the Next 100 Million Borrowers - PaymentsViews.com (George Peabody) - "This Payments on Fire podcast with Lenddo.com’ s founder Jeff Stewart takes a look at lending in developing countries, social and mobile data sources, and examines the algorithmic “black box” that is at the heart of the company’ s approach to making credit decisions in “thin file” markets."
- Inside the Secret Meeting Where Wall Street Tested Digital Cash - Bloomberg - "The event -- announced in a statement this Monday -- marked a key moment in the evolution of blockchain, notable both for what was achieved, as well as how many firms were involved."
- Circle Then and Now: Bitcoin’s Early Champions Challenge a Blockchain World - CoinDesk - "[Circle] was not positioned as a bitcoin thing, it was [about] making money work," Allaire said. "It was positioned as a way to move value around. We tried to define the product around instant money, and underneath it was bitcoin."
- Australian Entrepreneur Says He Created Bitcoin, but Doubts Persist - New York Times - "Craig Steven Wright, a computer entrepreneur, told the BBC, The Economist and GQ that he was the currency’s founder. He said he had been forced to come forward because so many people were pursuing him."
- 60 Minutes: Shaking Up the Financial Industry - CBS News - "Lesley Stahl meets some of the fintechies challenging the establishment, seeking to reinvent nearly every aspect of modern banking" - features Stripe
- The Business Blockchain - AVC (Fred Wilson) - "If you think you might want to start a business based on blockchain technology or if you think blockchain technology is going to reshape a market you are working in, or if you just want to understand this thing that your son or daughter is obsessed about, then this is a great book to read." - see book on Amazon.com
- Silicon Valley Looks at Something New: Starting a Bank - Wall St. Journal - "Warburg Pincus’s new bet on the future of banking borrows from the industry’s past. The New York firm is leading an investment round of more than $27 million in San Francisco-based Varo Money Inc...."
- Tencent backs down in mobile payments war with Alibaba - FT.com - "The shift marks a partial de-escalation of its market-share battle with Alipay, the payment service run by Alibaba’s financial affiliate Ant Financial."
- Paytm banks on Wipro to ensure it’s on right side of law - Economic Times - "Wipro will implement core-banking solutions for Paytm and also the programme to manage the integration of other key systems like anti-money laundering and regulatory reporting solutions."
ON THE WIRES
- Chain and Global Financial Firms Unveil Open Standard for Blockchain - "Chain, Inc., a leading provider of blockchain technology, today announced the public release of Chain Open Standard 1 (Chain OS 1), an open source blockchain protocol developed over the last 18 months through a unique collaboration between the Silicon Valley company and global financial services firms."
- Fortumo makes a push in Africa, launching payments in Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia & Senegal - "In Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia and Senegal the percentage of bank card owners is only 2%. At the same time, carrier billing is available to any prepaid or postpaid mobile account owner. This means merchants using carrier billing can reach a paying audience twenty times bigger than with traditional payment methods."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!