ON THE WEB
- The Art of Mobile Banking Engagement - Finovate Blog (Jim Bruene) - "But we have just barely scratched the surface of its biggest advantage, the always-on-always-with-you benefits. Account and transaction security is one of the first features having huge impact both on consumers ... and financial institutions..."
- Using ‘Inflection Points’ to Overcome Fintech Startup Distribution Challenges - A16Z Blog (Alex Rampell, Angela Strange) - "Targeting customers at an inflection point is not just a marketing campaign — it’s an optimal market entry (and even scaling) strategy."
- Jamie Dimon Wants to Protect You From Innovative Start-Ups - New York Times - "Maybe someday the bank will invent services that are good enough to keep every customer inside its firewalls."
- Exclusive: Coinbase, Ripple close to landing New York bitcoin licenses - source - Reuters - "New York state's financial regulator is close to approving licenses for bitcoin companies Coinbase Inc and Ripple Labs Inc,..."
- Square Cash still isn’t a business - "Square Cash isn’t alone in that aspect among its free-to-use competitors. Venmo, which is much larger than Square Cash, hasn’t figured out the business angle yet, either."
- Banks Skewer Proposal Limiting Arbitration - Wall St. Journal - "The industry reaction was swift, with Wall Street and its advocates warning of unintended consequences of the rule within hours of the CFPB proposing it on Thursday."
- FFIEC Releases Guidance on Risk Management for Mobile Financial Services - "The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) has issued new guidance to its examiners regarding mobile financial services (MFS), which includes mobile banking and mobile payments."
- Facebook Has 50 Minutes of Your Time Each Day. It Wants More. - New York Times - "But there are only 24 hours in a day, and the average person sleeps for 8.8 of them. That means more than one-sixteenth of the average user’s waking time is spent on Facebook."
ON THE WIRES
- Square Announces First Quarter 2016 Results
- European Financial Services Companies Must Close the Gap Between Vision and Execution in their Digital Strategies, According to Accenture Study - “Digital is universally embraced by financial institutions in Europe but inconsistently executed,” said Sushil Saluja, senior managing director of Accenture’s Financial Services group in Europe, Africa and Latin America. “Our new index, which provides a benchmark for digital readiness, tells a story of an industry that recognizes the importance of digital as an instrument of change, but that has yet to find its footing for the level of transformation it needs to execute.”
- William Mills Agency Releases New White Paper: 10 Reasons Why Fintech Startups Fail - "A few of the deadly mistakes cited in the white paper include: underfunding the fintech startup; underestimating length of fintech sales cycles; not understanding the fintech customer markets; no relations with the bank core providers and poor fintech sales and marketing strategies."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!