On the Web:
- Top 10 Payments Events in 2014 - Portals and Rails - "As the year draws to a close, the Portals and Rails team would like to share its own "Top 10" list of major payments-related events and issues that took place in the United States this year."
- Apple Pay and other contactless payments to be available this week at Walt Disney World - WDWmagic.com - "The inclusion of Apple Pay payments will allow Walt Disney World guests using iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ and the soon-to-be released Apple Watch to make payments quickly and with the highest level of security."
- How to be an Expert in a Changing World - Paul Graham - "When experts are wrong, it's often because they're experts on an earlier version of the world."
- Gang Hacked ATMs from Inside Banks - Krebs on Security - "...this gang specializes in hacking into banks directly, and then working out ingenious ways to funnel cash directly from the financial institution itself."
- NY financial regulator: Our payments infrastructure is “disco-era” tech and we should mandate improvements - PandoDaily - "With his brief departure from the topic of BitLicense at last week’s event, Lawsky appeared to give a major gift to those innovating in the broader payments sector."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard Launches Global Hackathon Series with $100,000 Grand Prize - “We encourage developers from around the world to participate in our Masters of Code competition and use the power of MasterCard through our APIs to create the next generation of commerce applications globally,” said Mario Shiliashki, Senior Vice President of Open APIs, MasterCard. “MasterCard is the world’s most advanced payments network, and the MasterCard Developer Zone is the bridge to it for developers. We are opening up our technology to the world for a simple reason – to enable any developer to utilize our products and platforms to build the next big thing.”
- Staples Provides Update on Data Security Incident - "Overall, the company believes that approximately 1.16 million payment cards may have been affected."
- CashStar and PayPal Partner to Expand Digital Gift Card Delivery - “We’re excited to work closely with PayPal and our top retailer and restaurant client brands on this solution,” said Ben Kaplan, CashStar president and CEO. “As digital, mobile and social innovations continue to change the way consumers shop, digital gift cards thrive because of their ability to move seamlessly across channels."
- Moneris and Syrasoft Introduce Enhanced Integrated Payment Solutions for Self-Storage Software - "This partnership integrates Moneris’ secure, dependable payment processing platform with two of Syrasoft’s software modules: Syrasoft Automatic Credit Card add-on and Syrasoft Internet Manager (SIM) Online Payments add-on. Syrasoft customers who select Moneris as their payment processer will experience seamless credit and debit card processing that enhances Syrasoft’s credit card and payments add-ons."
- Fidelity® Customers Have Earned More Than $845 Million Using Fidelity Rewards Credit Cards - "According to a new survey from Fidelity, more than half (55 percent) of credit cardholders own a rewards credit card, with cash back rewards the most popular choice, held by nearly two-out-of-three rewards card holders (63 percent); 47 percent own credit cards offering points toward merchandise, followed by airline miles (39 percent) and gas, dining or other forms of rewards (39 percent)."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews