On the Web:
- Rizvi, SV Angel And Groupe Artemis Are Buying Square Shares, Secondary Offering Values Company At $5B - TechCrunch - "We’re hearing from sources close to the transaction that Square has initiated this tender offer, at a $5 billion valuation ..."
- NRF 2014: A New Online Checkout Experience, Payment Code is Rolling and PayPal Beacon Update - PayPal Forward Blog - "At NRF 2014 we’re showcasing advances that are already making the future of retail today’s reality for many retailers, starting with a completely redesigned online checkout experience for large merchants."
- PayPal Debuts A Simpler, Native Checkout Experience For Merchants And Expands Beacon Internationally - TechCrunch - "Clearly PayPal is still investing in making its online payments and checkout service a frictionless experience."
- Bitcoin 2014 – Top 10 predictions - Lightspeed Venture Partners India - "These predictions are based on growth patterns of similar networks, the traction in various ecosystem activities last year and my conversations with various Bitcoin enthusiasts."
- Bitcoin - Getting Past Store Of Value and Currency - AVC.com (Fred Wilson) - "When will we see entrepreneurs coming to USV to talk about the marketplace for XYZ that they build on top of the Bitcoin architecture? Soon I hope. I would like it to happen today actually."
- Corporates join bitcoin-brigade to lobby for digital currency - Economic Times (India) - "As more bitcoin operators shut shop in India on fears of regulatory and enforcement actions, some large corporates are believed to have begun lobbying hard with regulators and government departments in favour of 'digital currency'."
- PayPal President: We’re Believers in Bitcoin - newsBTC - "PayPal president David Marcus took to twitter Monday morning to make some things clear on his company’s stance on digital currency bitcoin."
- Into the Breach: Protecting the Integrity of the Payment System - Portals and Rails Blog - "So has this major incident shaken consumers' confidence? It is too early to know. What is clear is that the payments industry must come together to develop a cohesive strategy, and they should do so before consumer confidence in the payments system is further compromised."
- Bickering Over Interchange Won't Stop the Next Data Breach - American Banker BankThink (Jason Oxman) - "In short, for retailers, consumer confidence in our payments system is vital, and regardless of where blame lies for the Target breach, we should all be working together to get consumers back into Target and all other retailers to spend and buy."
- GE Capital to Help Set Up Loyalty Programs for Retailers - "GE Capital and a partner are teaming up on a new product, to be announced this week, to help retailers set up and maintain loyalty programs that will create a unified profile for shoppers."
- Visa Trims Slogan to Expand Meaning - New York Times - "Executives at Visa and BBDO Worldwide, its creative agency, say there are more differences between the longer and shorter versions than just a missing word."
- 2013. HARD LESSONS LEARNED. - Ben Milne - "There’s a lot of people in the world with real problems and running a venture funded startup isn’t a real problem… It’s a privilege… That doesn’t mean it isn’t mentally, socially, emotionally, and economically hard as hell."
On the Wires:
- Target Announces $5 Million Investment in New Cybersecurity Coalition - see also: An Open Letter from Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel
- BitPay Announces Bitcoin Payroll API - “For the longest time the hard question was ‘How do I buy bitcoin?'” says Tony Gallippi, co-founder and CEO of BitPay. “Now the answer is easy: ‘Ask your employer.'”
- SEPA Migration: Making the Best of a Bad Situation - "Banks have been working on the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) for over a decade, and the finish line is in sight. However, Celent believes that a significant number of businesses will miss the deadline. Migration is currently 40% of total volumes, and by deadline day, only 94% of volumes will have migrated."
- iMobile3’s PassMarket and Ingenico Create a Mobile Engagement Hub for Retailers - "PassMarket is the industry’s leading cloud-based, multi-wallet platform to support Apple Passbook and Google Wallet. This year, iMobile3 introduces 100% frictionless mobile payments by integrating its US Patent Pending PassMarket Beacon™ technology into Ingenico’s Telium-based family of payment devices."
- Microsoft And AnywhereCommerce Forge Strategic Relationship For Surface mPOS Solutions - "As a result of this relationship, Microsoft will offer AnywhereCommerce’s suite of secure and flexible mobile point of sale (mPOS) solutions that are integrated into Microsoft’s Surface solution for retailers."
- NCR Extends Retail Innovation and Point-of-Sale Technology Leadership - "NCR Corporation ... announced today two significant advances in retail technology: a sleek, fully integrated point-of-sale (POS) solution and an all-imaging bi-optic scanner."
- Samsung Showcases New Retail Experience at NRF 2014 - "Samsung’s LED-lit commercial displays, Galaxy tablets, multifunction printers and more will be shown in a number of innovative, real-world retail installations..."
- Seven Leading Financial Technology Innovators Selected for the FinTech Innovation Lab London - "The Lab, which was launched by Accenture in 2012, is a collaboration between Accenture and leading financial institutions in London, supported by the Mayor of London, the City of London Corporation and the Technology Strategy Board. It is designed to nurture early-stage companies from the UK, Europe and elsewhere that are developing new technologies for the financial services sector."
- Fifth Third Bank Announces Enhanced Currency Processing Solutions - "By offering a managed service approach, Fifth Third acts as a single service provider to help businesses greatly reduce the amount of time they need to spend managing their cash handling activity."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: [email protected] or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: [email protected].
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews