On the web:
- Visa Sued Over Card Fees by U.K. Retailers Including Asda - Bloomberg - "The three companies sued Visa and its former European affiliate Visa Europe Ltd., at a London court on July 23, according to court records."
- Finnish Company Develops Facial Recognition Payment System - Mashable - "Finnish company Uniqul has patented and tested out a new payment system that lets you pay your bills with your face."
- BillGuard launches for iPhone to combat the ‘$14bn’ lost by credit card users to hidden-fees and errors - The Next Web - "In a nutshell, BillGuard’s predictive algorithms alert users of unexpected charges such as hidden fees, billing errors, scams and fraud on credit card bills."
- Google Wallet For Gmail Invites Start Rolling Out To More Users - TechCrunch - "Now, it appears as if more users are gaining access to the Google Wallet in Gmail feature, as invitations are hitting Gmail inboxes."
- How AirBnb and Uber could be the next eBay and Amazon - Jeremiah Owyang - "These collaborative economy startups like Airbnb and Uber will play a big role in the changing economy, if they continue their growth path, Airbnb is the next eBay, and Uber is the next Amazon."
- BIG Changes to NFC: Payments Part of the OS - FinVentures (Tom Noyes) - "How will Apple, Google, Samsung keep their margins moving? Well it certainly does NOT involve turning over the keys to anything (ie NFC)."
- Meet the future of branded currency - Aneace Haddad - "Here is a great TED talk on how declining faith in government will drive a move back to alternative currencies."
- Balanced: Payments & Escrow For P2P Marketplaces, Crowdfunding Platforms - Crowdfund Insider - "Balanced is a white-label payments API used by hundreds of online marketplaces and crowdfunding platforms like Zaarly and Crowdtilt."
- Visa, MasterCard look to gain bigger foothold in mobile payments - Mobile Commerce Daily - "While Visa and MasterCard have not played a major role in mobile payments to date, they are betting big that the next generation of mobile payments from banks will leverage the networks’ platforms."
- The importance of what's on the banknotes - Financial Services Club Blog - "I’m now becoming a collector of weird and wacky bank notes, as well as those that are hugely historical or politically interesting."
On the wires:
- Global Payments Reports Year-End Earnings - "The company delivered revenues of $2.4 billion or 8% growth and cash earnings per share of $3.65 or 3% growth over prior year."
- Cardtronics' New Approach to ATM Branding Expands Fee-Free Horizons for Financial Institutions - "The world's largest retail ATM owner, Cardtronics, Inc. today announced an expansion of its ATM branding product line featuring the launch of Preferred Branding."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Be sure to take our new Payments and Bitcoin survey asking what you think about Bitcoin in particular and math-based currencies in general!
- Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp! - A special summer session of our popular Payments Boot Camp - in Half Moon Bay on August 6th and 7th is ALMOST SOLD OUT! We're also leading a half day course on Data In Payments - August 8th, also in Half Moon Bay. Join Carol, Scott and Russ for lively, interactive sessions - register now!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
- Follow Glenbrook Partners on LinkedIn! -
- Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews