On the Web
- Why Square Has to Get Out of the Payments Circle - Wall St. Journal - "Square has gone public as a payments company. Its share price from here will depend on the company’s ability to reshape itself."
- Square Shares Jump on Trading Debut - New York Times - "At the close of trading on the New York Stock Exchange, the shares were up 45 percent, at $13.07. Earlier, the stock was up as much as 64 percent."
- For Its I.P.O., Square Scales Back Valuation by $3 Billion - New York Times - "Square — valued in a private financing last year at $6 billion — priced its initial public offering at a level that gave the payments company a valuation of $2.9 billion."
- Getting The Deal Done - AVC (Fred Wilson) - "If you believe in your business and yourself, take the money and get back to work. A financing is not an exit. The price matters less than the cash most of the time."
- Startup Fuels Africa’s Mobile-Payment Boom - Wall St. Journal - "Founded in 2009, MFS Africa has pioneered a mobile payment platform embraced by the continent’s biggest telecommunications operators, which count about 500 million customers combined."
On the Wires
- Square Celebrates IPO with “Square Market” at the New York Stock Exchange - "Square celebrated its public debut by hosting a Square Market beneath the NYSE facade, featuring some of the best local vendors, which are also Square sellers. Visitors to the Square Market browsed custom goods, got their beards trimmed, and enjoyed breakfast, lunch and desserts from food trucks and restaurants."
- Square Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering - "Square, Inc. (SQ) today announced the pricing of its initial public offering of 27,000,000 shares of its Class A common stock at a public offering price of $9.00 per share."
- eBay Enterprise Unveils Holiday Fraud Index and Key Findings that Leave Retailers Vulnerable - "eBay Enterprise’s Fraud Technology Lab found that the highest fraud attack rates per state span the entire U.S. It also identified pockets of freight forwarding in coastal areas where merchandise can be more easily shuttled to international customers."
- Cardinal Strengthens International IP Position with 2 More Patents - "CardinalCommerce announces that it was granted a patent by the Australian Patent Office for Intelligent Directory Server Routing, patent number 2009285780, and received a notice of allowance in Canada for System and Method for Conversion Between Internet and Non-Internet Transactions."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for Palo Alto, California on December 1-2 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on December 3 on the topic of Digital Payments. Registration for both sessions is open and available now.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!