On the Web
- Apple Pay Will Soon Work at Starbucks - Re/code.net - "Apple Pay head Jennifer Bailey broke the news Thursday onstage at Code/Mobile at The Ritz-Carlton in Half Moon Bay, Calif."
- Fast-tracking Merchant Payment Acceptance in India! - Sanjay Swamy - "Many people think the cost of signing up a merchant, the cost of the terminal and the Merchant Discount Rate are the reasons why the penetration is low — and while these are factors, they are not the real reason. The reality is many merchants who want to accept cards are just not allowed to, and those who are have to toil hard to do so."
- Nigerian mobile money leader Paga is doubling down on building a payments giant - Quartz - "Now, its persistence seems to be paying off with the completion of $13 million in series B financing. It was backed by a raft of investors led by Adlevo Capital, with participation from Omidyar Network, Goodwell West Africa, Acumen Fund, and Capricorn Investment Group to grow the Paga mobile peer-to-peer platform."
- On What Law Firms Can Do With the Blockchain - Bloomberg BNA - "As we finish up our series, it’s time to answer a question we’ve ignored up until now — what should law firms be doing to leverage these technologies and position themselves to be leaders in a blockchain dominated world?"
On the Wires
- Mobile Contribution to Sub-Saharan African Economy Surpasses US$100 Billion, Finds New GSMA Study - “The mobile industry remains a key driver of economic growth and employment in Sub-Saharan Africa, making a vital contribution given the population growth and high unemployment levels seen in many countries in the region,” said Alex Sinclair, Acting Director General and Chief Technology Officer at the GSMA. “Despite revenue and margin pressures, local mobile operators continue to invest heavily to extend network coverage to serve unconnected communities and accelerate the migration to high-speed 3G/4G mobile broadband networks."
- CardFlight Announces $4.2 Million Investment From Leading Payment Industry Executives and Venture Capital Funds - "We're excited to be adding investors with such deep experience growing and scaling startups in the payments industry," said Derek Webster, Founder and CEO of CardFlight. "This round of funding further validates CardFlight's leadership in mobile payments and will enable us to roll out even more advanced solutions in the months and years ahead."
- Mozido and TabbedOut Partner to Improve Consumer Dining Experience - "The partnership will provide a full set of features to hospitality locations allowing their consumers an application to discover locations, join wait-lists, make reservations, order, split, pay, and leave feedback all from their mobile phones."
- Diverse Consumers Overwhelmingly Optimistic About Financial Future - "When asked about personal finances, on average 60 percent of African American, Asian and Hispanic consumers said they expect their financial situation to be “somewhat” or “much” better a year from now, compared to 48 percent of the combined general population."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for October 13-14 in Palo Alto, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 15 on the topic of Global Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!