On the Web:
- Amazon apparently set to launch Square-competitor in August as it develops biometric payment solutions - 9to5 Mac - "Amazon could be preparing to launch its own mobile credit card reading hardware in the coming weeks, according to internal Staples documents hinting at such a launch that we’ve obtained."
- What Can We Learn from the History of #EMV? - TMG Blog - "At the time, many financial institutions (FIs) in Europe recognized the benefits of chip-based payments and understood that international standards for such payments were needed to help foster global interoperability. The original EMV specifications were created to fill that void."
- Notes from Startup School Europe (London) - Nabeel Qureshi - Includes notes on talk by Patrick Collison of Stripe - “Eventually, after a couple of years, Stripe started to become an overnight success.”
- Bitcoin’s Disruptive Challenge - BAI Banking Strategies (Chris Skinner) - "What amazes me about banks is that they do not believe they need to change. They don’t believe that they are being disrupted by technology."
- How Visa Changed Everything in the Payments Industry - Motley Fool - "Last week, Visa announced it would be replacing V.me with Visa Checkout. And after a dive into the details of it, this service may be the game changer it needs."
- Starbucks and Apple: Mobile payments’ sleeping giants? - Mobile Commerce Daily - “Apple controls hundreds of millions of cards and devices that can be linked to those cards,” he said. “They are perfectly positioned to be a key player in the space."
- London Transport Network Finally Opening Up To Contactless Mobile Payments - TechCrunch - "From September, London’s public transport network will be accepting contactless bank cards for payment, after conducting a trial with some 3,000 customers since this April." ;
- Small Banks' Customers Hit Hard by Overdraft Fees - Wall St. Journal (Robin Sidel) - "Roughly 16% of U.S. financial institutions process checking-account transactions on a "high to low" basis..."
On the Wires:
- Coming Soon!
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews