On the Web
- Distribution v Innovation - Alex Rampell - "This is the flaw with looking at Square and Stripe and calling them commodity players. They have the distribution. They have the engineering talent. They can build their own TiVo."
- Jamie Dimon: Bitcoin Will Not Survive - CoinDesk - "This is my personal opinion, there will be no real, non-controlled currency in the world. There is no government that's going to put up with it for long ... there will be no currency that gets around government controls."
- Uber is trying to lure new drivers by offering bank accounts - Quartz - "The plan, which is in its early stages, would allow drivers to easily register for a bank account or prepaid card when signing up to work for Uber..."
On the Wires
- Walgreens First to Launch Loyalty Program Integration with Apple Pay - "Walgreens Balance® Rewards members can now seamlessly use their account through Apple Pay - without separately scanning a Balance Rewards card or barcode. More than 85 million active Balance Rewards members will have the ability to earn and redeem loyalty points via Apple Pay, the easy, secure and private way to pay."
- ACI Worldwide Acquires Leading Global eCommerce Payments Solutions Provider, PAY.ON - "Based in Munich, Germany, PAY.ON delivers a white label global payment gateway solution to payment services providers (PSPs) and acquirers globally. PAY.ON’s solution features connectivity to more than 300 alternative payment methods and card acquirers in more than 160 countries."
- Payoneer Selected by Amazon to Expand Cross-Border Payment Options in Select Countries - "In cooperation with Payoneer, Amazon now allows sellers to sign up for Payoneer directly from Amazon Seller Central. Upon Payoneer registration, sellers receive online accounts that can collect Amazon disbursements, and that provide access to these disbursements through local bank account withdrawal or through the use of a Payoneer MasterCard®. This alliance marks the first time that Amazon has expanded Seller Central cross-border payment capabilities through alliance with an external payment solution."
- Federal Reserve Announces Sixth Triennial Study to Examine U.S. Payments Usage - "The 2016 Federal Reserve Payments Study consists of three complimentary survey efforts commissioned to estimate the number, dollar value and composition of retail noncash payments in the United States for calendar year 2015. The study will request full-year 2015 payments data for various payment types from respondents to two of the three survey components; the third component involves a random sampling of checks processed in 2015 to determine distribution of party, counterparty and purpose. Results from all three survey components will be used to estimate current trends in the use of payment instruments by U.S. consumers and businesses."
- Wells Fargo Spurs Innovation with New Startup Accelerator Class - “Our Startup Accelerator expands our vision of the future of financial services beyond the boundaries of Wells Fargo and banking, introducing us to innovators who want to shape how our customers handle their financial needs in the future,” said Steve Ellis, head of Wells Fargo’s Innovation Group. "Our business and technology leaders work closely with accelerator members to test concepts, validate technologies, identify market opportunities, and guide them through the process of bringing their ideas to market.”
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks Visa Customers Can Now Instantly Redeem Reward Points to Pay for Purchases - "Customers simply activate Real-Time Rewards, make a purchase with their FlexPerks Visa card, and respond to a text message to accept or decline a redemption offer. Accepted offers trigger a credit to the customer’s billing statement for the purchase amount and a deduction of FlexPoints from the customer’s point balance."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for Palo Alto, California on December 1-2 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on December 3 on the topic of Digital Payments. Registration for both sessions is open and available now.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!