On the Web:
- Why So Many Card Breaches? A Q&A - Krebs on Security - "For example, in my own economic analysis of the 40 million cards stolen in the Target breach, I estimate that the crooks responsible for that breach managed to sell only about 2-4 percent of the cards they stole."
- Paper Boys - Inside the Dark, Labyrinthine, and Extremely Lucrative World of Consumer Debt Collection - New York Times Sunday Magazine
- First Data vows lower fees in entry to Brazil payment market - Reuters - "First Data Corp plans to enter Brazil's card payment processing market through lower fees and additional services, a sign that robust demand for plastic money in Latin America's largest economy may not be enough for newcomers to gain market share."
- On Prepaid - Finsurgency (Matt Harris) - "It is telling that the latent threat to financial institutions was always Wal‐Mart, and, in fact, prepaid partnerships with GreenDot and American Express enabled that latent threat to become very real."
- Yahoo Dusts Off E-Commerce Service to Juice Revenue - Wall St. Journal Digits Blog - "In addition to renaming the service to Yahoo Stores, the company has added new tools for handling payments and building mobile versions of their storefronts, said Amit Kumar, head of Yahoo Small Business, in an interview."
- For Merchants, Bitcoin Shows More Pop Than Potential - New York Times Dealbook - "There are benefits for merchants in offering Bitcoin as a payment option — lower processing fees rank high on the list — but some have questioned whether accepting virtual currency amounts to anything more than a marketing gimmick."
- German Startup Says Its New Chip Halves Bitcoin Mining Energy - Wall St. Journal Digits Blog - "A German start-up is looking for funding to produce a new high-performance microchip that it says would make bitcoin mining much less energy intensive, and thus cheaper."
On the Wires:
- First Data Launches Bin, the New Electronic Payment Solution for Brazil - “Our objective is for Bin to be recognized as an easy to use, flexible, secure and accessible electronic payment solution that helps small and medium businesses as well as large retailers and e-commerce companies, to grow,” said Debbie Guerra, general manager of First Data Brazil.
- SUPERVALU Notifies Customers of Criminal Computer Intrusion at Some of Its Owned and Franchised Stores - "This criminal intrusion may have resulted in the theft of account numbers, and in some cases also the expiration date, other numerical information and/or the cardholder’s name, from payment cards used at some point of sale systems at some of the Company’s owned and franchised stores."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money/2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews