On the Web:
- Why PayPal jumped the software-hardware gap - O'Reilly Radar - "In the interview below, we talk about the development that went into Beacon (PayPal uses Go — and has open-sourced its work)..."
- Send money to debit cards - Stripe Blog - "Many marketplaces, like Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, and TaskRabbit, use Stripe to send transfers to sellers’ bank accounts. Starting today, anyone can now send funds to a seller’s debit card too."
- Credit Card Act Turns 5, a Big Success Story US PIRG Blog (Ed Mierzwinski) - "Our next step is to extend the benefits of the CARD Act to two less-regulated but growing card markets, debit cards and prepaid cards."
- eBay Urges Password Changes After Breach - Krebs on Security - "The company said the information compromised included eBay customers’ name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth."
- Tim Hortons Launches In-App Mobile Payments For U.S. And Canada - TechCrunch - "The updated Tim Hortons TimmyMe app now lets you pay with a barcode from your phone with pre-loaded credit, and also supports Passbook on iPhone."
- Darkcoin, the Shadowy Cousin of Bitcoin, Is Booming - WIred.com - "Darkcoin offers far greater anonymity than bitcoin, mixing up users’ transactions so that it’s incredibly difficult to trace a payment to a person. "
- Indian Ecommerce Giant Flipkart Buys Fashion E-tailer Myntra To Fight Amazon’s Growth - TechCrunch - "Flipkart has some 18 million registered users, and 3.5 million daily visitors to its site. While Myntra has more than 50 million monthly uniques."
- Europe Wants a Supercomputer Made From Smartphones - IEEE Spectrum - "The thinking goes that because ARM cores are designed to run on small smartphone and tablet batteries, a supercomputer built around them could yield more speed with less power." How Dynamic CVV Is Impacting the Rising Tide of Credit Card Fraud - Emerging Payments Strategies (FIS Global) - "By reducing the risk of fraud related to contactless payments, dynamic CVV looks to hold an important place in the future of credit card security..."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard: Ajay Banga NYU Stern School of Business Commencement Address - "In remarks that honored the varied journeys Stern graduates had undertaken, Banga also spoke about his own journey: his experience in business school in India, his own sense of diversity, the importance of diversity in driving business and leadership, and the belief that business can be a force for good."
- Fraud Prevention Possible with POS Facial Recognition - "The solution, a multi-modal security platform for card purchases, uses NFC (near field communication) authentication combined with camera imaging to protect users."
- Singapore Airlines Takes to the Sky with Chase Ultimate Rewards - “We are pleased to expand our point transfer offering to include Singapore Airlines, which offers a world class travel experience,” said Jennifer Roberts, president, Affluent & High Net Worth, Chase Card Services.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews