On the Web
- Paying Your Pals With Digital Options From Venmo to Facebook - ABC News - "Cash is passe, say digital mavens. If you really want to pay your friends back for that pizza party, use an app to shoot money to their mobile-phone number — or their Facebook account."
- What lies behind the JPMorgan Chase cyber-attack - Economist - "The proceeds, since the scams started in 2007, amount to hundreds of millions of dollars. They stole personal data relating to more than 100m people, 83m of them customers of JPMorgan Chase."
- Sending money overseas: could the blockchain hold the answer? - "By combining our experience as the largest payments network in the world, with Epiphyte’s knowledge of the distributed ledger, we’re hoping we can identify ways to improve the experience and better understand how these findings might be applied to remittance processes in the future."
- New York FinTech Innovation Lab 2016 - AVC.com (Fred Wilson) - "If you are starting or building a company that is focused on the fintech sector and would like some help on strategy, product market fit, and business development, this is a great program to consider."
On the Wires
- PayPal Completes Acquisition of Xoom - "Xoom will operate as a separate service within PayPal under the continued leadership of John Kunze, who has joined PayPal’s executive staff and will report to PayPal CEO Dan Schulman."
- Chase Celebrates the Holidays with VIP Lounges for United MileagePlus® Cardmembers - “Every year we look forward to providing the VIP Lounge experience for United MileagePlus Cardmembers to enjoy some much needed relief from the hectic holiday shopping crowds,” said David Gold, general manager, Chase. “Whether it’s heading to the mall or traveling on vacation, we always look for exciting ways to give our Cardmembers unique benefits and special programs, such as the VIP Lounge and Inside Access events.”
- MasterCard Expands Consumer Protection Across the Globe - “Over the past few years, consumers have grown increasingly concerned about the security of their data and account information, and liability for unauthorized transactions,” said Nancy O’Malley, chief payment system integrity officer, Enterprise Security Solutions at MasterCard. “With this new global program, we, together with our issuers, are providing our cardholders with additional peace of mind regardless of where they live or travel.”
- MasterCard Announces Executive Appointments - "Ed McLaughlin has been named chief information officer." "Garry Lyons, chief innovation officer, will now lead the Digital Payments and MasterCard Labs organizations." "Raja Rajamannar, chief marketing officer, will add communications to his responsibilities." "Chris Monteiro will become chief communications and digital marketing officer, reporting to Rajamannar."
- SWIFT Institute: New research evaluates real-time payment systems - "The report, entitled “Near Real-time Retail Payment and Settlement Mechanism Design” by Zhiling Guo, Robert J. Kauffman, Mei Lin, and Dan Ma from the School of Information Systems at Singapore Management University focuses on the development of a ‘hybrid priority queuing mechanism’ for faster payment settlement systems."
- Heartland, The Pinnacle Corporation First to Offer Integrated EMV POS Solution for Convenience Petroleum Merchants - "Heartland and Pinnacle’s Palm POS™ system provides petro retailers with the highest level of protection available against card-present data fraud and will accept EMV chip-cards for indoor and contact transactions."
- Credit Karma Launches Direct Dispute Feature to Help the One in Four Americans with a Credit Report Error - “Nearly half of Americans have not checked their credit report2, so many have errors which might be hurting their credit score. We want to change that,” said Ken Lin, founder and Chief Executive Officer of Credit Karma. “Our online Direct Dispute feature lets our members easily take action as soon as they see an error."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for Palo Alto, California on December 1-2 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on December 3 on the topic of Digital Payments. Registration for both sessions is open and available now.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!