It's Time to Register! Upcoming Payments Boot Camps!
- Glenbrook's fall season of payments education kicks off in October with two sessions of our Payments Boot Camp - one in the San Francisco Bay Area on October 13-14 and the other in New York City on October 20-21. Glenbrook's Russ Jones is now leading this important payments education curriculum - he'd love to meet you at one of these sessions. Contact Russ directly if you have any questions.
On the Web
- U.S. court hears challenge to $5.7 billion Visa, MasterCard settlement - "A lawyer for retailers including Target and Amazon.com urged the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York to reject the deal, saying it forces merchants to give up their rights to sue over various policies and practices."
- As Online Data Theft Escalates, Banks Look to Retailers to Bear the Losses - New York Times - "Retailers and banks are spending billions of dollars to upgrade to the new chip cards. While they hope the cards will slam the door on criminals obtaining financial data that can be used to create and sell counterfeit cards, they warn that other windows for fraud will remain wide open."
- Chip Cards Will Require Users to Dip Rather Than Swipe - New York Times - "For several seconds, slightly longer than most people may be used to, cards are inserted and left in the cashier’s payment terminal, which uses the chip to determine whether the card is legitimate."
- Review: Samsung Pays Where Apple Can’t - Wall St. Journal - "But Samsung Pay faces an unusual hurdle: awkwardness. Attempting to use it for the past few weeks, I got the stink-eye from many merchants, as if I were some kind of con artist or hacker."
- Mexico's Payment Restrictions Now Cover Bitcoin - CoinDesk - "Mexico's Secretariat of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP) has clarified its stance on bitcoin, deeming it a means of payment whilst placing a series of restrictions on transactions involving the digital currency."
On the Wires
- Alibaba Group and Ant Financial Enter Into Strategic Investment in India’s Paytm - "Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA), Ant Financial Services Group and One97 Communications, the parent company of Paytm, India’s largest mobile payment & commerce platform, announced today an agreement under which Alibaba and Ant Financial have agreed to make a strategic investment in Paytm."
- Heartland Launches e-Commerce Merchant Data Protection Solution - "Heartland SecureSubmit allows merchants to quickly and seamlessly integrate cardholder data encryption and tokenization into their respective e-commerce websites and checkout pages without redirection or loss of brand identity. All exchanges of sensitive data occur directly between the consumer and Heartland."
- SkyPOS Completes Integration With PowaPOS To Provide Next Generation Tablet Point Of Sale to Businesses Across Mexico - "According to the National Institute of Statistics and Geography, there are more than four million businesses in Mexico, 99.8 per cent of which are SMEs. These businesses generate 52 per cent of the GDP. The flexibility of having a POS system on a tablet means they will be able to become more agile, in turn powering growth."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for October 13-14 in Palo Alto, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 15 on the topic of Global Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!