ON THE WEB
- Merchant Acceptance in the Developing World – Mobile Payments’ Essential Missing Link - PaymentsViews.com (Allen Weinberg) - "While there has been a lot written on how mobile or eMoney payments systems such as M-PESA in Kenya have grown in many developing countries—and how they have brought much-needed electronic payments to the poor and underserved—there’s a critical missing piece that demands attention."
- Blockchain technology: Redefining trust for a global, digital economy = "Sorting out hype from reality may depend on how well we identify where institutions that have until now played a role in mediating trust between people are falling short, especially in the key area of money. Deploying the blockchain in those settings to generate secure, decentralized trust could achieve great strides in inclusion and innovation."
- Florida Bank Issues First Us Credit Card for Use in Cuba - AP - "Pompano Beach-based Stonegate Bank said its Mastercard, available Wednesday, will let U.S. travelers charge purchases at state-run businesses and a handful of private ones, mostly high-end private restaurants equipped with point-of-sale devices."
- JPMorgan Joins Banks With Real-Time Payments Akin to PayPal - Bloomberg - "JPMorgan Chase & Co. has joined U.S. rivals including Bank of America Corp. and U.S. Bancorp in letting customers transfer money between the lenders in real time, challenging ventures including PayPal Holdings Inc.’s Venmo."
ON THE WIRES
- Using Visa’s Intelligent Analytics, Gas Retailers See a Reduction in Fraud - “Visa Transaction Advisor gives fuel retailers a tool for applying Visa’s real-time fraud insights to transactions at the gas pump,” said Mark Nelsen, senior vice president of Risk Products, Visa Inc. “The results we’re seeing in the fuel sector attest to the power of predictive analytics for many of our merchant partners. It’s an effective model for combatting fraud and one we hope to replicate with other merchant categories.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!