ON THE WEB
- SumUp and Payleven merge as European ‘Square clones’ consolidate - TechCrunch - "The deal is being described as a merger by the two, but actually SumUp is getting the upper position in the deal: Daniel Klein, a founder of SumUp who was its CEO, will become CEO of the collective company, which will keep the SumUp brand."
- Inside the Risky, Jet-Setting World of Credit-Card Churning - Bloomberg - "You need to meet each card’s spending requirements, track changes to the fine print of all your programs, make sure you’ve got the money to cover bills with due dates spread across each month, and keep up with new card offers."
- Affirm acquires budgeting app Sweep to expand into personal finance - TechCrunch - "Essentially, the app collates all of your financial activity into a single dashboard, which could function as an alternative to simply checking your account balance."
ON THE WIRES
- PayPal Reports Strong First Quarter Results - "Our first quarter results continue to demonstrate the power of our global payments platform to attract and engage consumers, increasing our global scale and in turn attracting new merchants and partners to PayPal,” said Dan Schulman, President and CEO of PayPal. “Our focus on payments and ability to innovate for merchants and consumers continues to differentiate PayPal and drive our growth in a dynamic and competitive environment.”
- Visa Brings Digital Payments to Rio 2016 Olympic Games as 1.2 Million Travelers Are Expected in Brazil - “Visa has always stood for universal acceptance and the most secure and fast way to pay across merchants, borders and currencies,” said Jim McCarthy, executive vice president of innovation and strategic partnerships at Visa Inc. “As we prepare for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Visa is transforming the way fans pay, giving them choice in how they want to pay for anything, anytime and everywhere.”
- Citi Ventures Makes Strategic Investment in BlueVine - “BlueVine’s platform addresses pain points like cash flow management for the growing market of small businesses in need of financing,” said Arvind Purushotham, Managing Director and Co-head of Venture Capital at Citi Ventures. “We’re excited to champion and accelerate the growth of a company that is setting the industry standard in providing expanded access to capital on an easy-to-use digital platform.”
- Shopify Announces Shopify Capital - "Most entrepreneurs and online businesses have a hard time securing financing through traditional sources. Shopify is able to tailor cash advances to each merchant’s needs, based on data processed through the Shopify platform. Accessing this financing is designed to be as simple as a few clicks, with money in the merchant’s account within a few days of acceptance."
- Smart Payment Association Releases 2015 Smart Payment Card Shipment Figures - "In 2015, 56% of all smart card shipments globally (excluding the Americas) featured contactless technology – a 24% growth as compared to the year before."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!