On the web:
- Microsoft Explored Plans to Build Amazon Rival - Wall St. Journal - "The software giant held discussions with retailers and technology companies about a marketplace..."
- A Credit Card That Helps Pay Down Your Mortgage - New York Times Bucks Blog - "Now, as the housing market rebounds, Wells Fargo is stepping up its promotion of a card that can help borrowers pay down their home loan faster."
- Why is the Progress of Mobile Money so Gradual and Patchy? - CGAP Blog (Ignacio Mas) - "I believe in the inevitability of mobile money, but I don’t believe we’re getting there very fast. I am disheartened by the effort and money I see going into projects which to me feel ill-omened from the start."
- Could Barclays' Buyit kickstart (genuine) mobile commerce? - Mobile Entertainment (Tim Green) - "It always seemed obvious to me that Pingit could extend into retail, and last summer Barclays approached corporates with a scheme to turn phone numbers into QR codes."
- Where In The World Is ISIS Wallet? - Pymnts.com (Karen Webster) - "Focusing on the technology and the value created for mobile operators, and not the value created for consumers and merchants, turned out to be the wrong place to put the bet."
- Gartner on mobile payments: 5 key lessons for Retail Banks - Finextra (Pierre Boces) - "A recent report from Gartner on worldwide payment forecasts provides five key lessons for retail banks regarding their approach to mobile payments."
- Mt. Gox temporarily suspends USD withdrawals - CoinDesk - "The announcement from the bitcoin exchange goes on to say improvements are being made to the way USD transactions are processed and that the current suspension will last for just two weeks."
- A startup looks to stop fraud with a new method for 'fingerprinting' phone calls - The Verge - "Most of this phone call fraud is coming from spook numbers out of places like Pakistan or Russia, and to know that the call is coming from one of those countries can cut down fraud almost by 75 percent..."
- The mobile payments space is accelerating: here’s how - Memeburn - "We can buy products and services without carrying a physical wallet containing credit cards, debit cards and cash."
- How to spend money to buy happiness - CreditCards.com - Review of the book "Happy Money: The Science of Smarter Spending"
On the wires:
- Early Adopters of iPad POS Vastly Outperform the National Average in Revenues - "ShopKeep POS ... announced same store sales for its merchants during May 2013 have increased by an average of 17.4% over May 2012."
Upcoming from Glenbrook:
- Summer Camp! - A special summer session of our popular Payments Boot Camp - in Half Moon Bay on August 6th and 7th... Also, an optional half day course on Data In Payments - August 8th, also in Half Moon Bay. Join Carol, Scott and Russ for lively, interactive sessions - register now!
- Follow Glenbrook Partners on LinkedIn! -