What I'm Reading...
- This weekend your editor will be reading Other People's Money: The Real Business of Finance by John Kay, a visiting professor of economics at the London School of Economics. From the book's description: "In a dazzling and revelatory tour of the financial world as it has emerged from the wreckage of the 2008 crisis, Kay does not flinch in his criticism: we do need some of the things that Citigroup and Goldman Sachs do, but we do not need Citigroup and Goldman to do them."
- How about you? What are you reading? Drop me a quick note and tell me about it: email@example.com
On the Web
- Take Your Brick-and-Mortar Store Online: Square Now Integrates with Ecwid - Square Blog - "But here’s what’s extra cool about Ecwid: You can use it to sell your goods not only on your website but also on any other platform (think: Facebook, Tumblr, other online marketplaces)."
- Global Payments (GPN) held its annual Investor Day earlier this week.
- Payment Cards Center Updates Consumer Credit & Payments Statistics - "The Payment Cards Center (PCC) Consumer Statistics page provides updated statistics related to consumer credit and consumer payments. The PCC compiles statistics on a quarterly basis that are relevant to researchers, reporters, and others interested in consumer credit and payments."
- What VCs Really Think of Banks - LendAcademy - "Investments into FinTech startups recently quadrupled, growing to over ~$12 billion in 2014 from ~$3 billion in 2013. It appears 2015 is on track to dwarf the previous year..."
- Have you noticed Amazon Web Services? - New York Times - "Amazon had more operating income from Amazon Web Services, its business renting computing and software applications, than it did from combined sales of goods in the United States and internationally."
On the Wires
- It's a slow day for press releases - presumably everything interesting is now waiting to be announced next week at Money20/20 in Las Vegas! Have a great weekend and trip to the conference - if you're going! Several partners from Glenbrook will be attending.
- Statement by CFPB Director Richard Cordray on RushCard Prepaid Card Incident - "Today, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Director Richard Cordray issued the following statement in response to the RushCard situation, a prepaid card owned by UniRush LLC, in which many consumers have indicated that they have been unable to access funds in their accounts for more than a week..."
- Visa Checkout Brings Simplified Online Shopping to Brazil - "In the US, shoppers made purchase more often when using Visa Checkout compared to customers using other payment options,” says Percival Jatoba, vice president, products, Visa do Brasil. “With this streamlined approach to payments, merchants and financial institutions see higher conversion rates which ultimately brings new customers and drives higher sales."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for New York City on October 20-21 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 22 on the topic of Virtual Currencies and Bitcoin.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!