On the Web:
- Square Cash For iOS Now Lets You Send Money To Nearby Friends Via Bluetooth - "Called “Nearby Payments,” this new feature works on devices running iOS 8, the company says, and offers an alternative to its previous means of sending money by way of text message, mobile number or email."
- Square Gets Support of $150 Million - Wall St. Journal - "The investment arm of the government of Singapore led the new round of funding, which valued Square at $6 billion, according to a person familiar with the deal."
- Bitcoin Volatility Highlights Need for Advanced Investing Facilities - Wall St. Journal - "Some unusually large sell orders put bitcoin through a wild ride Sunday and Monday, highlighting what bitcoin advocates say is a need for advanced investing facilities..."
- Blockchain Is Latest Bitcoin Start-Up to Lure Big Investment - "Blockchain, a Bitcoin wallet provider and software developer, is expected to announce on Tuesday that it has closed a roughly $30.5 million fund-raising round, led by Lightspeed Venture Partners and Wicklow Capital."
- Target ramps up mobile for personalized holiday experiences - Mobile Commerce Daily - “Today, mobile is nearly two-thirds of our digital traffic and it is quickly on the way to becoming three-fourths. We are very much leading with mobile.”
On the Wires:
- TSYS Transforms Cardholder Experience for Business - “TSYS is enhancing its approach to digital engagement, and our investment in CentreSuite will greatly enrich the experience of card program administrators and their account holders,” said Paul Bridgewater, group executive of Global Product, TSYS. “This initiative demonstrates our people-centered approach and vision of providing our clients and their customers the most innovative, convenient and user-friendly solutions.”
- Draper University Launches Free Innovative Online Bitcoin Course - “The largest problem in the Bitcoin adoption world right now is education and this is the best Bitcoin education course online,” said Adam Draper, CEO of Boost. “It answers all the questions by giving access to the experts in the Bitcoin space, no one else has done this in a quality way.”
- Boku Acquires mopay, Solidifies Position as World’s Largest Mobile Payment Provider for Carrier Billing - “By coming together we've created a company that can realize the vision of charging purchases to your phone bill as a truly global payment method at scale,” said Jon Prideaux, CEO of Boku. “Together, Boku and mopay serve some of the largest digital merchants in the world and we have a tremendous pipeline in the works.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook's Payments in Europe Workshop: Oct 9 in Palo Alto, CA
- Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camps: Oct 21-22 in New York, NY; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop: Nov 19 in New York, NY
- Money20/20 as become the go-to event in payments... we'll be there in force. The agenda is now available and the event is 90% sold out - if you've been waiting, it's time to register! Use this promo code to register and receive a 20% discount: "GLENBR20"
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews