On the web:
- Did Apple just kill the John Hancock? - MarketWatch - "Though Apple is not allowing developers to take advantage of the new technology — at first, anyway — the feature may boost efforts to embrace the idea."
- With The iPhone 5S, Apple Is Making You The Device - "This humble fingerprint sensor, hidden away under the home button, is just the latest evolution to a product that Apple has been trying to build for 30 years."
- Inside The Apple iPhone 5s Fingerprint Sensor - Medium - "The technology in this sensor comes from a company that Apple bought earlier this year called Authentec."
- How Apple's Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor Works To Protect Your Identity - ReadWrite - "The company made a point of emphasizing that the fingerprint data is not only encrypted, but stored in a secure, separate area of the A7 chip that's walled off from all other software."
- Google security exec: 'Passwords are dead' - CNET - "Adkins, speaking alongside Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers managing partner Ted Schlein and author James Bamford, said that looking ahead, "our relationship with passwords are done," and that "passwords are done at Google."
- PayPal Will Win the Mobile Payments Race - Forbes (Paula Rosenblum) - "So I’m going to go out on a limb here. As a method of payment, NFC is dead. Someone forgot to ask the consumer what she wanted. And it isn’t that."
- The Cost of Cash, for the Rich and the Poor - New Yorker (David Wolman) - "Low-income Americans don’t just need to make more money—they also need a better way to access the cash they’ve earned."
- PayPal challenges NFC with bluetooth-enable mobile payments - Mobile Commerce Daily - “The introduction of this beacon and the simplicity of its use and integration for the most part certainly indicates that NFC has no chance,” said Arkady Fridman, senior research analyst at Aite Group, LLC, Boston.
On the wires:
- TA Associates Completes Majority Investment in BluePay Processing, Inc. - "BluePay’s merchant base and processing volumes have grown rapidly as it developed new functionality for its payment acceptance platform and forged integrated payment relationships with hundreds of third-party software providers and developers,” said M. Roy Burns, a Director at TA Associates who has joined the company’s Board of Directors."
- First Data Releases August 2013 SpendTrend® Analysis - "August’s dollar volume growth was 7.3%, a slowdown compared to July’s 7.7% growth."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews