On the Web:
- Payments on Fire Podcast #17 – Aligning Bitcoin with B2B Remittances - PaymentsViews.com (George Peabody) - "In this Payments on Fire episode, Marwan Forzley, CEO of Align Commerce, talks with Glenbrook’s George Peabody about how his firm moves value for its SMB customers from the sender’s currency to the receiver’s over bitcoin rails."
- Interest in Bitcoin Grows on Wall Street - Wall St. Journal Moneybeat - "The interest is most evident on Wall Street, where there’s a sense that the bank-dominated, centralized pathways through which international finance passes are long overdue for the kind of Internet-driven cost savings that have affected other industries."
- We May Have Just Uncovered Amazon’s Vision for a New Kind of Retail Store - Re/code.net - "A recently filed patent application by Amazon reveals details about a new kind of retail establishment that would allow shoppers to pick items and leave without stopping at a cashier station or kiosk."
- Mobile Payment Startup MyCheck Raises $5M From Santander’s Innoventures Fund - TechCrunch - "Initially launched as a consumer app in 2011, MyCheck has since pivoted to more of a B2B model, offering a platform that enables mobile payments/loyalty for big restaurant chains (such as Busaba and Prezzo in the U.K. and Blockheads and Aroma in the U.S.) and the hospitality industry more generally."
- New publication on cross-border mobile money remittance models in West Africa - GSMA Blog - "This paper draws insights from two early examples in the West African Economic Monetary Union (WAEMU), where member states are socio-economically integrated and adoption of mobile money has been rapid in recent years."
On the Wires:
- Contactless Card Payments enabled on Vodafone Wallet with Visa and Carta Worldwide - "Vodafone customers will soon be able to add bank cards to their Vodafone Wallet and use smartphones to pay for goods and services at contactless terminals, it was announced today. Following new agreements with Visa and Carta Worldwide, bank card payments via Vodafone Wallet will be enabled in European markets from the second quarter of 2015 onwards."
- MasterCard Expands San Carlos Center of Excellence - "MasterCard today announced the expansion of its San Carlos Center of Excellence and the relocation of senior vice president of Emerging Merchants, Les Matthews, and his team to the company’s West Coast office. MasterCard will also add global communications support in San Carlos with the relocation of vice president, Worldwide Communications, Brian Gendron. The moves enhance the company’s presence on the ground in Silicon Valley – an important market for continuing to deepen MasterCard’s footprint with the tech community."
- GTCR Announces Sale of Fundtech to DH Corporation - Aaron Cohen, Managing Director at GTCR, added: “This transaction marks another successful example of GTCR’s Leaders Strategy™, as we worked in partnership with an exceptional management team to execute this complex transformational merger. We are pleased that those efforts have resulted in building a market-leader in transaction banking software.”
- According to New Chase Slate Credit Survey, Checking Your Credit Score Correlates to Financial Aptitude – Yet Gaps in Consumers’ Credit Health Awareness Still Exist - "The survey reveals that Americans who have previously checked their credit score consider a “good” score to be 719 on average1. This is 51 points higher than what is considered to be good by those who have never checked their score (668). What Americans may not realize is that even a score of 719 might not give them access to credit at the best rates."
- TimesofMoney Announces Launch of 'Movit' - Talking about Movit, Avijit Nanda, Chief Executive Officer, TimesofMoney, says, “TimesofMoney has several success stories to its credit. We have engaged with international clients for Movit and in fact are in the process of deploying it in Africa currently. Since Movit’s primary delivery channel is the mobile phone, it gives a huge thrust to the financial inclusion agenda of governments in emerging economies of India, Asia & Africa where there is an ever-increasing mobile penetration.”
- Powa Technologies and Merchant e-Solutions Partner to Support POS Application Developers’ Go-To-Market Strategies - “PowaPOS has a unique position in the tablet-based payments market right now. Its fully integrated hardware and universal OS support makes it particularly attractive to POS software developers and to us,” said Tom Bell, CEO, Merchant e-Solutions. “By partnering together, we’ll be able to provide developers with the best payments processing and hardware solutions on the market today.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Update!
- Our payments education schedule for 2015 is now available. Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding a one-day Insight Workshop on April 16 following the New York Boot Camp on the topic of Faster Payments. On May 19-20, we will be holding a Payments Boot Camp in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews