ON THE WEB
- Apple takes on PayPal with Apple Pay on the web - TechCrunch - "When you are ready to check out online, Apple’s Continuity feature will pull up a prompt on your phone or watch to quickly authentically and complete your purchase."
- Bitcoin Hits Two-Year High Ahead of Key Event - Wall St. Journal - "Any time you’re talking about bitcoin prices and the reasons for any move, it’s best to keep in mind that this is still a relatively thin market."
- 21 is an Open Source Library for the Machine-Payable Web - 21 Blog - "Today we are open sourcing 21, a software package that makes it extremely easy to work with Bitcoin over HTTP."
- New York Regulators Grant Second BitLicense to Ripple - CoinDesk - "The BitLicense approval, effective today, allows the startup to sell and custody XRP, the native asset that powers its Ripple consensus ledger (RCL)."
- Here's How American Express Is Trying to Keep Costco Customers from Fleeing - Motley Fool - "American Express has mailed out offers to Costco members promoting its Blue Cash Everyday Card."
- Bring On the Blockchain Future - Bloomberg View - "The blockchain really could change the world, making financial crises much less damaging and reducing frictions in global commerce. It could also fade into the relative obscurity of narrowly conceived technical innovation."
- Review: Blockchain hopes go well beyond finance - Reuters - "Aside from association with the bitcoin cryptocurrency, blockchain ideas have mainly emerged in the realm of finance. Authors Don Tapscott and his son, Alex Tapscott, nod to that connection."
ON THE WIRES
- Walmart Canada Statement Regarding Visa Credit Card Purchases - "Unfortunately, Visa and Walmart have been unable to agree on an acceptable fee for Visa transactions. As a result we will no longer accept Visa in our stores across Canada, starting with our stores in Thunder Bay, on July 18, 2016."
- TSYS Acquires Remaining 45-percent Ownership Stake in TSYS Managed Services EMEA Joint Venture - "TSYS Managed Services EMEA was formed in 2006 as a joint venture between TSYS and Dimension Data. TSYS Managed Services provides customer service, fraud risk management and strategy, collections, disputes management and back-office and help-desk services for TSYS’ clients through outsourced contact centres."
- Collaboration with Digital Partners Is Key to Banks’ Growth Strategy and Success, Accenture Technology Vision for Banking 2016 Finds - “The massive volume of data and existing partnerships that banks already have in place today are assets that banks need to leverage to their advantage in creating new business models. Digital optimization of the traditional bank business model could add five percent to ROEs, but if customers start migrating to new platform-based services outside of the banking sector, increased profitability from a shrinking business will be scant comfort to shareholders.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!