On the Web:
- Post Paytm stake buy, Ant Financial has no plan to invest in other Indian cos - FirstPost Business - "This deal is being seen as Alibaba's entry into India, with One97's Vijay Shekhar Sharma telling us earlier that Jack Ma was completely involved in discussions leading up to this transaction."
- Palantir Buys Fancy That To Add Retail, Shopping Data To Its Analytics Platform - TechCrunch - "Among its features, Fancy That optimizes store operations, including clearing inventories, managing discounts, and understanding customers’ retail habits."
- Feature Friday: Digital Money Accounting - A VC (Fred Wilson) - "I want Mint.com for digital money services, starting with the Venmo and Coinbase mobile apps. That would be super helpful for me and, I suspect, for everyone using these digital money services."
- The Race to Replace Bitcoin - Observer - "There’s an epic battle for the future of money, and the outcome is murky. It might have several winners. It might have no winners. But one thing is crystal clear: The most exciting battle in this long war is taking place in San Francisco, and the town isn’t big enough for both Ripple Labs and Stellar, two of the contenders hoping to replace not just Bitcoin but the almighty dollar."
- Bitcoin continues to evolve into a worse version of the current system - FT Alphaville - "The delay, we are told, came about because the low price of bitcoin caused a breakdown in the so-called “block creation” process, which underpins how the technology clears transactions without the need of a trusted third party such as a bank."
- The first country to roll out its own digital cash - CNBC - "In 2000, Ecuador moved to ditch its stumbling currency for the U.S. dollar. Now more than 15 years later, the South American country is revamping its monetary system again—using digital currencies."
- Lessons from an erroneous fraud alert - CreditCards.com - "Before my face got too red, I quickly pulled out another credit card, alas with no rewards, and paid for our food."
On the Wires:
- UK Consumers turn to contactless as usage surges - "Contactless has now firmly stepped into the mainstream. With usage soaring every month last year, we’ve seen people flocking to contactless payments as they switch away from cash. For retailers, contactless means quicker queues at the tills and greater convenience for their customers.”
- Intuit Working With State Governments to Solve Emerging Tax Fraud Problem - "During this tax season, Intuit and some states have seen an increase in suspicious filings and attempts by criminals to use stolen identity information to file fraudulent state tax returns and claim tax refunds."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Payments for the Unbanked on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews