On the Web
- Apple, Samsung to Enter China Payments Market With UnionPay - Bloomberg - "Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. reached separate agreements with China UnionPay Co. to introduce their competing mobile payments systems in the country next year."
- Exclusive: Target in initial development of its own mobile wallet - sources - Reuters - "It is leaning toward using QR code technology, used by Starbucks Corp and Wal-Mart, which allows customers to scan a code at the payment terminal, the sources said."
- 10 New Bank of America Cryptocurrency Patents Published - CoinDesk - "To date, Bank of America has submitted 18 patent applications related to cryptocurrencies, suggesting that the firm may be looking to build, or at least conceptualize, a fully realized cryptocurrency network."
- Magento Commerce and Braintree Join Forces to Upgrade Merchant Experience - Braintree Blog - "The updated extension connects a merchant’s Magento store to Braintree’s payments processing power more seamlessly than ever before with minimal integration work."
On the Wires
- Apple & China UnionPay to Bring Apple Pay to China - “Apple Pay has revolutionized the way millions of people pay every day with their iPhone, Apple Watch and iPad,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “China is an extremely important market for Apple and with China UnionPay and support from 15 of China’s leading banks, users will soon have a convenient, private and secure payment experience.”
- CPA Releases Multi-Year Data on Canadian Payment Methods and Trends - "The research provides important insights for the industry and the Canadian Payments Association as we look to modernize the country's clearing and settlement systems," said Gerry Gaetz, President and CEO of the CPA. "While traditional payments clearly continue to fill a vital role, the data shows an accelerating shift to new channels for electronic payments."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!