On the Web:
- Stripe, Digital Payments Start-Up, Raises New Funding and Partners With Visa - New York Times - "On Tuesday Stripe also announced a partnership with Visa, one of the world’s largest credit card companies, in which the two will work on ways to improve digital transactions. The companies said they expected to collaborate on initiatives like payments security, as well as software like website “buy buttons.”"
- Lawyer Emails Put Visa, MasterCard Settlement at Risk - Wall St. Journal - "Lawyers representing roughly 100 big merchants, including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Home Depot Inc., and 7-Eleven Inc., are expected on Tuesday to formally notify the card networks that they will seek to unravel the three-year-old pact..."
- UK Interchange fee regulation: a consultation - HM Treasury - "This consultation invites views on the government’s proposed steps to meet the UK’s obligation to put in place an adequate and efficient regulatory regime to supervise compliance with the ‘Interchange Fee Regulation’ (IFR)."
- UK: Rules proposed to tackle ‘unfair’ credit and debit card fees - FT.com - "A government consultation launched on Monday proposes rules to limit so-called interchange fees charged to a business when a customer pays using a card."
- UK: Cap on card fees could lead to lower prices for consumers - Guardian - "In a consultation document, the Treasury said: “The government is clear that merchants are expected to pass these savings on to consumers in the form of lower prices.”
- Wells Fargo Joins Other Banks in Testing Mobile Biometrics - "The bank’s mobile development efforts include testing an intelligent assistant, akin to Apple Inc.’s Siri, that enables consumers to conduct their banking by speaking commands into the phone, says Steve Ellis, head of Wells Fargo’s new Innovation Group."
- The Truth About the Death of Cash - BBC - "Cash is essentially untraceable, it’s easy to carry, it’s widely accepted and it’s reliable. If the power goes out, or there’s a blip in the electronic systems that make the online commerce world go round, cash is there."
- 8 Banking Giants Embracing Bitcoin and Blockchain Tech - CoinDesk - "While major institutions found that bitcoin was perhaps problematic as a currency, they seem to increasingly believe that the blockchain, the protocol that manages and facilitates the exchange of bitcoin, offers benefits over their closed database systems."
On the Wires:
- Discover Global Network Partners with Creditcall Corporation to Expand Card Acceptance Worldwide - “Working with Creditcall is an important step in securing card acceptance at merchants around the globe,” said Gerry Wagner, vice president, Discover Global Network. “This agreement will increase the number of merchants that card members have access to in over 30 countries.”
- The Bancorp again ranked as Top Issuer of Prepaid Cards in the US - Managing Director of The Bancorp’s Payment Solutions division, Jeremy Kuiper, commented, “It’s very gratifying to have retained our ranking as the Top Issuer of Prepaid Cards in the US. During a year that presented us with many challenges, it was industry-leading thinking by a remarkable team as well as a sustained company-wide effort which helped keep us at the top in 2014.”
- MasterCard Helps BURGER KING® and Firehouse Subs® Restaurants Serve Patrons Faster with MasterPass™ - "Later this summer, the BURGER KING® brand will expand its use of MasterPass to its BURGER KING® app which offers exclusive deals and allows users to locate the nearest BURGER KING® restaurant, explore the BURGER KING® menu, and pay directly with their phone."
- U.S. Bank Forms Strategic Channel Partnership with Adelman Travel - “Adelman’s highly regarded travel management solutions are a perfect fit with U.S. Bank’s suite of innovative and efficient global payment technologies,” said Bradley Matthews, head of Middle Market Product & Marketing for U.S. Bank Corporate Payment Systems. “This integration offers significant advantages to business travelers and travel program managers alike, while greatly simplifying booking, payment and reconciliation.”
- Entrust Datacard Achieves MasterCard Emerging Payment Support Accreditation - “We are very pleased that MasterCard has recognized Entrust Datacard’s expertise in providing technical support to issuers,” said Ray Wizbowski, vice president, financial vertical marketing for Entrust Datacard.
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for August 4-5 in Mountain View, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on August 6 on the topic of Data in Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews