On the Web:
- Apple Pay Stirs, But Doesn’t Shake, the Mobile Landscape - PaymentsViews.com (George Peabody) - "Looked at it from the payment context alone, Apple Pay does not do a great deal more than what Softpay/Isis and Google Wallet have already achieved. But the combination of Apple’s design focus and its assumption of a reasonably non-threatening role within the payments ecosystem should make a difference."
- MasterCard Loses EU Court Case Over Interchange Card Fees - Wall St. Journal - "Europe's top court on Thursday backed a decision by the European Commission to ban cross-border fees set by MasterCard on the grounds that they harmed competition."
- How Apple Pushes Entire Industries Forward - HBR Blog Network (Maxwell Wessel) - "Apple used its power as an impatient convener to move an industry. Yesterday, Tim Cook showed that, like the White House, when Apple calls, you answer."
- How Apple Pay works and why it matters for developers - Clover Developers Blog - "Apple Pay marks the first time a popular operating system is making payments a platform service for real-world, non-digital-good transactions, in a broad, inclusive manner that is compatible with the mainstream payments processing industry."
- Apple Pay and the CFPB - Credit Slips (Adam Levitin) - "I think Apple may have just become a regulated financial institution, unwittingly. Basically, I think Apple is now a "service provider" for purposes of the Consumer Financial Protection Act, which means Apple is subject to CFPB examination and UDAAP."
- 8 ways that iOS 8 will change mobile engagement - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Over the last five years, push notifications have grown from a developer tool to deliver alerts to users to become the most transformative marketing technology of the last decade, driving dramatically greater consumer response than traditional channels such as email."
- Coinbase Expands Internationally, Now Available In 14 Countries - Coinable Blog - "Coinbase is now available in 14 countries. We’re adding 13 additional countries across Europe including Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria, Cyprus, Finland, Greece, Latvia, Malta, Portugal, and Slovakia."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard Fast Tracks Mobile Payment Acceptance in Europe Helping Europeans to Tap Everywhere by 2020 - "MasterCard has announced today that it is establishing contactless acceptance as standard by 2020 for merchants accepting MasterCard® and Maestro® in Europe, ensuring that, consumers will be able to pay with their contactless cards and NFC enabled devices at all point-of-sale (POS) terminals in Europe by 2020."
- Fujitsu and Biyo Enter Partnership by Executing Master Distribution Agreement for Digital Wallet Solution - “Our customers have been very pleased with the performance of the Fujitsu PalmSecure biometrics technology at point of sale. It has proven to provide accurate, timely and reliable authentication in some of the harshest retail environments imaginable,” says Aimann Rasheed, co-founder and CEO, Biyo.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join Elizabeth McQueery and Manfred Schuck for Glenbrook's Payments in Europe Workshop - Oct 9 in Palo Alto, CA
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money20/20 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421. I continue to strive for having PaymentsNews be your secret weapon!
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews