On the Web
- It’s About the Blockchain - PaymentsViews.com (George Peabody) - "2015’s story is the interest of fintech vendors, financial institutions, start-ups, and other enterprises in what blockchain ledgers have to offer. We’re seeing experimentation built on the bitcoin blockchain itself."
- Turkey launches a national credit card system - Daily Sabah - "Turkey launched a new electronic card payment clearing system, the Istanbul-based InterBank Card Center (BKM) announced yesterday. The system, named "TROY," will be operational from April 1, 2016, the BKM said."
- Apple Pay Makes Inroads for Everyday Purchases - eMarketer - "Mobile payments are slow to catch on among the general population, but early adopters of the Apple Watch are also rapidly adopting Apple Pay, research suggests."
- Apple Pay Faces Tough Crowd in First Year - Bloomberg - "Apple Inc. Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook has called 2015 the “year of Apple Pay.” So far it’s been underwhelming."
- Note to Payments Innovators: You Need a Value Proposition! - Credit Slips (Adam Levitin) - "The Fed is moving full-speed ahead on developing a faster payment system. But very few consumers actually need such a system. For all the complaints about our dated mag stripe card payments, they work really, really well. It's hard to come up with a clear value proposition for any replacement."
- Trump Hotel Collection Confirms Card Breach - "The Trump Hotel Collection, a string of luxury hotel properties tied to business magnate and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, said last week that a year-long breach of its credit card system may have resulted in the theft of cards used at the hotels."
- Australian Banks Unfriendly Towards Digital Currency - NewsBTC - "Not only will a negative attitude toward bitcoin affect the Australian market, but it could spread further afield. Many are fearful that this decision could have a long lasting negative effect that would influence the the country’s regulation process and opinions of consumers and lawmakers in other countries."
- How Kenyan Banks Lost to Mpesa - Payments Africa - "Mpesa, a wildly successful payment platform contractually licensed to Safaricom, has prospered at the expense of what would have been banking services. Kenya’s banks have taken a back seat as Mpesa leads the payments market. It wasn’t always like this."
- Santander InnoVentures Adds $4 Million to Ripple’s Series A Round - CoinDesk - "Ripple has received an additional $4m in funding from Santander InnoVentures, bringing its Series A total to $32m."
- A New Chapter for Ripple - Ripple Blog - "We’re no longer experimenting. We’re delivering. That’s why we’re dropping the ‘Labs’ from Ripple Labs. From now on, it will just be Ripple—and Ripple is growing up."
On the Wires
- MasterCard Identity Check to Simplify and Strengthen Online Shopping - "MasterCard today introduced MasterCard Identity Check, a suite of technology solutions that leverage advanced technologies to prove a consumer’s identity and further simplify the online shopping experience."
- Visa and Chevron Bring Mobile Payments to the Pump - "Visa Inc. and Chevron U.S.A. Inc. today announced they will launch a mobile payments program at more than 20 Chevron-branded stations, accepting any NFC (near-field communications) payment service. The program, launching later this fall at select Chevron stations in San Francisco and Silicon Valley, will offer consumers a simple and more secure way to pay at the pump with a range of mobile payment services."
- Visa Inc. Appoints Demetrios Marantis to Lead Global Government Relations - “I’m honored to join Visa at an incredible time in this dynamic industry,” said Marantis. “The payments ecosystem is rapidly changing, and I am excited to be part of an organization leading the conversation about digital payments in an increasingly mobile world, both in the United States and globally.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for October 13-14 in Palo Alto, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 15 on the topic of Global Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!