On the Web:
- Here's Why Apple Pay Users Have Cut the Plastic - eMarketer - "Among US iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users who had used Apply Pay while shopping at a retail store during Black Friday weekend, nearly three-quarters said using Apple Pay was easier than checking out with a debit or credit card..."
- Braintree Opens Private Beta to Accept Bitcoin - Coinable Blog - "After working closely with Braintree over the past few months, we are excited to announce that Braintree has opened up private beta access to accept bitcoin for all of its U.S.-based merchants."
- Bill Gates on Mobile Banking, Connecting the World and AI - Medium (Backchannel) - "The actual ideal is to essentially have a public switch that lets you move funds at low fees between various banks. That kind of rich interchange capability actually still doesn’t exist."
- Visa Europe 2014 Annual Report - "To reflect the disparities across Europe, there is now more focus on local markets, and a more open and flexible approach to digital payment solutions. At the same time, a robust commercial ethos is being embedded within the business – in order to increase its strategic and monetary value, extend its market position, and protect it from business and regulatory risk."
- ARM makes 15 predictions about 2015 - Android Authority - "These predictions cover a wide range of topics and reflect all the different areas of technology that utilize ARM based processors. The areas covered include smartphones, wearables, IoT, security and servers."
- Monitise explores strategic review, warns on full-year results - Reuters - "Monitise Plc, a British mobile banking technology company, said it was reviewing its strategic options and warned that full-year revenue would be below its expectations..."
- Webster Bank ramps up mobile banking app security with Touch ID - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Webster Bank is one of the first United States-based banks to leverage Apple’s Touch ID feature into its mobile banking application..."
- Amazon drops mobile wallet as chances of a shakeout grow - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Amazon’s wallet strategy raised questions about its viability from the beginning, as many retailers consider the ecommerce giant a competitor and therefore would be unlikely to want to participate..."
- Cross-Border Payments: Challenges and Trends - Aite Group - "The correspondent banking model does not meet every customer's modern needs, and the growing volume of low-value cross-border payments oblige banks to rethink their current approach to cross-border fund transfers."
- Payments Giant Ingenico Adds Bitcoin Option to POS Terminals - CoinDesk - "Bitcoin payments provider Paymium has partnered with one of the world's largest point-of-sale (POS) providers to allow European brick-and-mortar retailers to accept the digital currency."
- Reporting back from the Blockchain Workshops at MIT and Harvard - "And it turns out Bitcoin may be just the beginning."
- Bigger than Hollywood - Asymco.com - "Apple paid $10 billion to developers in calendar 2014."
- Google to Sell Wireless Service in Deals With Sprint, T-Mobile - Wall St. Journal - "Google Inc. is preparing to sell wireless service directly to consumers after striking deals with Sprint Corp. and T-Mobile US Inc., a move likely to prod the wireless industry to cut prices and improve speeds..."
On the Wires:
- Xoom Announces Touch ID for Mobile Money Transfers - “Xoom has always placed safety and security as a top priority; and now with Touch ID on the Xoom Mobile App, this presents an enhanced customer experience with authentication that is simple and highly secure,” said Joe Raymond, Xoom’s Vice President of Product. “In keeping with our mission of creating a seamless customer experience across our platform, Touch ID will make it faster and easier for our customers to send money from the Xoom App, without having to type in a password.”
- Wawa Launches New Mobile App and Wawa Rewards Program, Offering Customers a Whole New Way to Connect - "As of January 2015, all of Wawa’s more than 680 convenience stores are accepting mobile payments through the new Wawa mobile app, enabling customers to make in-store purchases with more convenience than ever before, using a Wawa Gift Card from their smart phones."
- TSYS and Ingenico Group to Offer EMV, NFC and Apple Pay Enabled POS Payment Solutions - “Our relationship with Ingenico Group and its industry-leading expertise in EMV and NFC enabled TSYS to be among the first processors to be certified for Apple Pay,” said Craig Ludwig, senior director and head of product for TSYS' Merchant Services segment.
- Raise Secures $56 Million in Series B Funding to Build on Company Momentum and Sustain Rapid Growth - "Raise, the largest online marketplace for gift cards, today announced that it has raised $56 million in a Series B funding round led by New Enterprise Associates (NEA), with additional funds supplied by Bessemer Venture Partners (BVP), the Pritzker Organization, Listen Ventures and several notable angels who previously participated."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Payments for the Unbanked on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews