ON THE WEB
- Payments on Fire Podcast: The Merchant’s Challenge with Chargebacks - "Take a listen to this audio primer on chargebacks with Glenbrook’s George Peabody and Chargeback.com’s CEO Dave Wilkes. Hear how they work, what the trends are, and how Chargeback.com assists merchants in the chargeback dispute process."
- Bitcoin Rival Ethereum Gains Traction - Wall St. Journal - "With a rising market value and a roster of high-profile patrons, Ethereum in recent months has become the next hot thing in cryptocurrencies."
- Some Thoughts On Ethereum and The DAO - AVC.com (Fred Wilson) - "It is an open question about what impact the failure of The DAO will have the future of the Ethereum experiment. It certainly shows that pairing a public and open blockchain with a Turing complete programming language and a smart contracts system is a very ambitious and potentially very dangerous idea."
- The Apple Pay Safari Vs. PayPal Battle For Web Transactions Is An Invalid Argument - Medium (Brian Roemmele) - "I am 100% certain that there are no real losers in this battle and ultimately everyone wins."
- Survey: Surprisingly few millennials carry credit cards - Bankrate - "While a majority of older Americans own a credit card, just 33% of adults between the ages of 18 and 29 say they have one, according to our Money Pulse survey."
ON THE WIRES
- Visa Inc. Completes Acquisition of Visa Europe - "The combined, global company provides digital payment products, services and processing to about 17,100 financial institution clients and partners, 40 million merchant outlets, and 3.0 billion Visa cards worldwide. Visa–branded cards and payment products enable approximately $6.8 trillion in global payments volume annually."
- MasterCard Speeds Chip Terminal Deployment for Merchants Testing Completed in Hours, Not Days or Weeks - "By accelerating the testing and certification process, MasterCard and Elavon can make more terminals available to more merchants, increasing the safety of the entire payments ecosystem,” said Guy Harris, president of Elavon North America.
- nanoPay Announces the Deployment of MintChip Digital Currency - "Beginning today, all Canadians can download and use MintChip to send and receive digital cash with friends and family for free through secure person-to-person (P2P) payments. Consumers shopping or dining at participating merchants in the Toronto's Liberty Village neighbourhood can also pay for goods and services with MintChip."
- Billtrust and AvidXchange™ Announce Strategic Partnership - "Automation of key financial processes has become essential due to the considerable impact on improving working capital. AvidXchange represents the newest addition in our comprehensive suite of innovative Payment Cycle Management solutions," said Flint Lane, CEO of Billtrust.
- Agilysys Reimagines Hospitality Point-of-Sale with Robust Business Analytics and Data Extraction Capabilities - "Guest Analyze addresses the growing requirement for food and beverage and retail operations to leverage POS data as one of their most important assets."
- Prepaid Financial Services (PFS) Responds to BoE Announcement that RTGS Will Finally be Opened up to Non-Bank Entities - Noel Moran, CEO said: "After 20 years of the payments sector being dominated by the incumbent banks, we are delighted that the Bank of England has decided that it is finally time for FinTechs, many of whom are offering innovative and cost effective solutions, to be able to gain direct access. It's been a long time coming, but this will soon allow new entrants to provide a better payment experience to their end users and will enable PSPs to compete on a level playing field."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
COMING UP IN ATLANTA ON FRIDAY, JULY 15
TAG FinTech presents: Lunch & Learn on Real Time Payments - After years of discussion, the notion of faster payments in the U.S. is rapidly becoming reality thanks to the efforts of the Federal Reserve's Payments Improvement Task Force and its participating firms. These new systems could fundamentally change how we think about person to person transfers as well as business payments. Of these efforts, The Clearing House's real-time payments initiative is among the furthest along and most ambitious. Get the details on its functionality, rollout and potential uses. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry is moderating the session.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!