ON THE WEB
- Five Big Questions on Bitcoin and Blockchain - PaymentsViews.com (Carol Coye Benson) - "I'm headed to New York next week for the CoinDesk Consensus conference…”Making Blockchain Real”. I’m going because I’m trying to get my head around some big questions..."
- Why Digital Money Hasn’t Killed Cash - New Yorker - "It might seem logical that as cash becomes displaced as a medium of exchange—and that is assuredly happening—it would also become less important as a store of value. And yet, if anything, the increasing demand for hundred-dollar bills—still with their image of the famously frugal Benjamin Franklin—indicates the opposite."
- PayPal Profit, Revenue Rise as It Looks to Stand Out in Crowded Payments Sector - Wall St. Journal - "PayPal Holdings Inc. said it is expanding newer services such as Xoom and Venmo as it seeks more ways to stand out from a bevy of emerging mobile payments tools."
- Venmo is growing ridiculously fast - Re/code - "The one nagging question around Venmo, however, is if the service can become a money-maker, instead of a money-loser, for PayPal."
- Turkey introduces new electronic payment system TROY - Daily Sabah - "TTurkey is introducing a new electronic card payment clearing system called TROY, the InterBank Card Center (BKM) announced on Thursday."
- UK looking at bitcoin technology for tracking taxpayer money, says minister - Guardian - "The cabinet office minister Matt Hancock said the government was examining how the technology could be used to manage and keep track of the distribution of public money, such as grants and student loans, saying it could “foster a new culture of trust”."
- Coinbase is finally letting you instantly buy Bitcoin with a debit card - TechCrunch - "For the privilege of using your debit card, Coinbase will charge a 3.75% fee, compared to the 1% fee they charge for purchases funded by your bank account."
- This New Form of Biometric Authentication Might Actually Kill the Written Password - Inc. - "The MasterCard Identity Check mobile app that will inevitably be nicknamed "selfie pay" will allow users to authenticate their online purchases through facial recognition and fingerprint biometrics."
- ‘Free’ Shipping Crowds Out Small Retailers - "More than half the past year’s orders from 30 of the biggest e-commerce merchants were shipped free of charge, compared with 33% two years ago, according to mystery shopper StellaService."
- Apple Pay now available to ANZ customers in Australian banking first - Mashable - "ANZ became the first Australian bank to offer its customers Apple Pay on Thursday."
- Samsung Pay customers can now withdraw cash from ATMs in South Korea - Android Authority - "Samsung Pay can now be used to withdraw cash from ATMs in South Korea, the company has announced..."
ON THE WIRES
- MasterCard Incorporated Reports First-Quarter 2016 Financial Results - “The year is off to a good start with solid growth in revenue due to strong volume and transaction levels this quarter,” said Ajay Banga, president and CEO, MasterCard. “We continue to deliver against our strategy, looking to our investments and acquisitions to create a better cardholder experience, supported by a relentless commitment to security."
- M/Chip Fast from MasterCard Speeds EMV Transactions and Shoppers Through Checkout - "As with standard EMV, M/Chip Fast provides counterfeit fraud protection by creating a unique code for each transaction. Once the code is generated, the card can be removed from the reader with the goal of both decreasing the processing time of the transaction and reducing the cardholder perception of a longer wait at checkout."
- Start-ups Invited to Dive Into the Visa Developer Sandbox as Part of Second Annual Everywhere Initiative - “With payment and marketing innovation happening at break-neck speed, Visa is once again asking the start-up community for their best ideas to help move the industry forward,” said Shiv Singh, senior vice president, digital and marketing transformation at Visa. “With Visa’s rich set of APIs and SDKs, we are especially excited to see how our open platform can help fuel additional payment innovation with this year’s challenges.”
- Visa Opens its First Innovation Center in Asia - “The pace of technological innovation across Asia Pacific is unprecedented and creating enormous opportunity for any company that touches the growing payment ecosystem,” said Chris Clark, group executive, Asia Pacific, Visa Inc. “With the doors of Visa’s Singapore innovation center now officially open, we look forward to working alongside clients and partners to imagine and build the creative and leading-edge mobile and digital experiences Asia Pacific is known to deliver to the rest of the world.”
- Perk.com Inc. Adds Perk Points as Payment Method on the SuperRewards Platform - Ted Hastings, Chief Executive Officer of Perk.com, says, “In the payments industry, one of the most important developments of the 21st century is that people are able to make purchases with their time and attention rather than with physical money."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!