On the Web:
- Now even Facebook wants to become a payments company - PandoDaily - "The Financial Times reports that the company is in talks with Irish regulators and three European startups to create a service that would “allow its users to store money on Facebook and use it to pay and exchange money with others.”
- How Acxiom Ties Online Ads to Purchases in Stores - Wall St. Journal - "It found that, on average, the ads drove $9 of sales for every dollar spent – primarily in physical stores."
- Jeff Bezos to Amazon Payments Team: Move Faster - Re/code.net (Jaseon Del Rey) - "The payments chief expressed skepticism that current mobile payment options for in-store purchases solve any real problems for shoppers."
- Wells Fargo's Debra Rossi sees positive side of Target security breach - San Francisco Business Times - "I hate to say it, but I was sort of happy for Target. I feel bad for them, but it got the industry moving on the consumer side and the merchant side," Rossi said, speaking candidly on a panel at a payments conference in Las Vegas Thursday.
- Cue the iPhone 6 Near-Field Communication Rumors - The Motley Fool - "This, in theory, would give the iPhone 6 the ability to make payments virtually anywhere NFC or BLE is already in use. While it's certainly a possibility, it's nowhere near a done deal."
- Facebook is getting regulatory approval to start financial services division - The Financial Services Club Blog (Chris Skinner) - "It does mean that, as per our regular dialogue about GAFA (Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple), these guys want to get into payments processing."
On the Wires:
- PayPal with Fingerprint Authentication and PayPal App Now Available Globally on Samsung Galaxy S5, Gear 2 and Gear Fit - "When shopping with PayPal on their Samsung Galaxy S5, users can login with their fingerprint to shop at millions of merchants that accept PayPal on mobile web sites, mobile apps and in stores."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Meet the Glenbrook Team on Thursday, April 17 in Menlo Park, CA - Click here to RSVP
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Data in Payments, April 22 in Mountain View, CA; Innovation in Payments, May 8 in Palo Alto, CA; Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews