On the Web:
- Apple Is Already Way Ahead In Mobile Payments - Cult of Mac (Mike Elgan) - "Apple would be stupid to not get into this business. And they’re not stupid."
- J.P. Morgan's Dimon, Ex-Ally Settle Dispute - Wall St. Journal - "In exchange for the money from First Data, J.P. Morgan pledged not to challenge Mr. Bisignano's hiring last year of several high-ranking executives from the bank..."
- Google acquires AI pioneer DeepMind Technologies - ArsTechnica - "The company has a staff of 50-75, with 30 PhDs in a particular subset of machine learning called "deep learning..."
- Bitcoin and the Fictions of Money - New York Times Bits Blog (Quentin Hardy) - "The first thing to remember is this: Money is a sort of collective fiction. What money we choose to trust says much about how we see the world."
- Two Bitcoin exchange operators charged in money laundering scheme - Reuters - "The two were charged with conspiring to commit money laundering and operating an unlicensed money transmitting business."
- Target Breach: Why Smartcards Won’t Stop Hackers - InformationWeek - "If EMV wouldn't have stopped the Target breach, one bit of good news to come from the Target debacle is that people are now asking -- with some urgency -- why the United States has yet to adopt the technology."
- Miami Bitcoin Conference Day 1: Crime, Krugman, and BitLicenses - CoinDesk - "Ver pegged bitcoin mining as a $1 billion industry given the roughly one million coins that will be rewarded over the next year."
- Miami Bitcoin Conference Day 2: Litecoin, New Coins and Regulatory Risks - CoinDesk - "The conference schedule concluded with organiser Moe Levin, who talked about the impressive attendance numbers. “We expected 500, we got 1,200."
- Smartphones to Open Doors at Some Hotels - Wall St. Journal - "Guests at these properties will receive a message on a Starwood app containing a virtual key, which will unlock the door with a tap or twist of their phone through the use of Bluetooth technology."
- The Importance of Partnerships between the Private Sector and Law Enforcement - Portals and Rails Blog - "I encourage our readers to learn more about and take advantage of these opportunities and others for collaboration between law enforcement and the private sector."
On the Wires:
- Blackhawk Network Powers Mobile Money by T-Mobile - "The more connected the on-the-go consumer is, the more there's a need to have their finances and access to spending in a convenient place that's everywhere they are," said Talbott Roche, Blackhawk Network president. "With Mobile Money by T-Mobile, it's easier than ever for consumers to manage their spending all from their mobile device, while creating additional opportunities for engagement and future purchases for our retail partners."
- Accenture Technology Vision 2014 Identifies Six IT Trends Driving Digital Power Shift as Large Enterprises Assume Role of Digital Disrupters - "The report finds leading enterprises are pursuing digital strategies that leverage mobility, analytics, and cloud to improve business processes, take advantage of real-time intelligence, expand the boundaries of traditional workforces, and transform the way data is managed and used."
- CardLinx CEO and Board Members to Present at Goldman Sachs Technology Conference - "Silvio Tavares, CardLinx President and founding CEO, along with the following CardLinx board members, will participate in a panel presentation titled “The Convergence of Advertising and Payments.”"
- Mocapay Announces Reissue of Technology Patents - "The original cornerstone patent was approved in 2010 and was recently reissued. The technology assigns each transaction a single-use and/or perishable token or code."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews