On the Web:
- Bitcoin and Blockchain: Two Revolutions for the Price of One? - Richard Gendal Brown - "“Digital” money is not the same as physical cash. And the world’s financial plumbing – payments systems, correspondent banking, SWIFT, … – is a direct consequence of this observation: physical cash really is fundamentally different to every other form of money: only physical cash is a bearer instrument. And only physical cash can be transferred without permission – censorship-resistant. Or so we thought."
- The Evolution of Money, From Feathers to Credit Cards - Smithsonian Magazine - “Our exhibit represents the opportunity to show the diversity and strengths of this collection and to excite people to think about history, culture and innovation through numismatic objects,” says curator Ellen Feingold. “We embrace the theme of innovation, but we also really embrace the value of monetary objects for learning about history.”
On the Wires:
- American Express and Best Buy Team Up to Enable Card Members to Use Membership Rewards Points on BestBuy.com - "American Express and Best Buy today announce the launch of a new e-commerce technology integration that enables U.S. Card Members enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program to seamlessly use their points for online purchases on BestBuy.com. Starting today, Card Members can use their Membership Rewards points for all or part of each online purchase and either pick it up in one of Best Buy’s stores or have it delivered to their door."
- MasterCard Extends Partnership with Samsung to Deliver Samsung Pay in Europe - “Samsung Pay is pleased to join forces with MasterCard to offer a simple and safe mobile payment experience enabled for wider merchant acceptance to MasterCard cardholders and issuers in Europe,” said Injong Rhee, EVP of Samsung Electronics, Global Head of Samsung Pay. “Both organizations are committed to ground breaking fin-tech innovations that will deliver on the promise of a true mobile wallet.”
- Instant Access to Information Changing Consumer Search Patterns When It Comes to Choosing Banking Products - “As financial institution customers have more and more interactions with consumer brands that provide multi-channel communications, they will demand those same channels when it comes to their interaction with banks and credit unions,” explained Scott Wallace, vice president of marketing, Deluxe Financial Services. “We believe this survey shows that customers want multiple research channels and tools before they will engage their local branch to open a new account.”
- TSYS and Acquirer Systems Launch ASTREX to Simplify EMV Certification Process - “By using our simulator tool, VARs and ISVs can gain an edge on the competition by bringing powerful and efficient EMV solutions to market faster,” said Craig Ludwig, head of product for TSYS’ Merchant Services segment. “This not only allows them to easily meet the rapidly approaching October 1 EMV liability shift date, but also affords them the opportunity to offer EMV support to their merchants in an expedited timeframe — increasing the quality of their clients’ overall experience.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for August 4-5 in Mountain View, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on August 6 on the topic of Data in Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!