ON THE WEB
- Bitcoin’s Blockchain Technology Proves Itself in Wall Street Test - Wall St. Journal - "The new test showed that a portion of that record-keeping task could be accomplished using “blockchain,” a common ledger that each party can view in much the same way that multiple users can work on shared computer documents."
- Marketing credit and debit cards to millennials - Visa - "Visa’s proprietary Payment Panel data indicates that millennials use cards for 57 percent of their spending, and with increasing wages and reduced debt, they’re an attractive target for debit and credit card marketing."
- Introducing R3 Corda™: A Distributed Ledger Designed for Financial Services - R3 Blog - "Corda is a distributed ledger platform designed from the ground up to record, manage and synchronise financial agreements between regulated financial institutions. It is heavily inspired by and captures the benefits of blockchain systems, without the design choices that make blockchains inappropriate for many banking scenarios."
- Fintech Firms Are Taking On the Big Banks, but Can They Win? - New York Times - "If they succeed, Wall Street as we know it may become an outpost of Palo Alto."
- E-commerce, merchants to drive Unified Payments Interface growth: NPCI - Business Standard - "National Payment Corporation of India's unified payments system that is believed to revolutionise the payments space by making money transfer as simple as sending a text message is slated to be launched next week."
- Start-Ups Aim at Overlooked Demographic: The Unbanked - New York Times - “I think that there is a huge disparity between how most consumers live their financial lives — quickly, on the edge and with a significant degree of stress, and a lot of distrust of financial service providers — and the world that many of our financial products were designed for...”
- Stripe will help Cubans do business in US - CNBC - "Less than two weeks before President Barack Obama's historic trip to Cuba, the White House contacted the company and asked if it would be willing to launch its new product, Atlas, in Cuba."
- Michael C. Fina, Park Avenue Wedding Retailer, Bets on Amazon.com - New York Times - "...the retailer is moving entirely online, including teaming with Amazon.com as part of a planned revamping of the e-commerce giant’s wedding registry service."
- Apple Pay to rock out at Coachella 2016 thanks to Square - iMore.com - "The latest Square Reader, which supports NFC payment systems like Apple Pay, will be available as the exclusive point-of-sale during the festival, letting attendees pay for anything without needing to take out their wallets."
ON THE WIRES
- Nation’s Financial Institutions On Target To Offer Same Day ACH Payments In 2016 - “Financial institutions see the value in providing new, faster payment options to their customers with certainty and surety, and Same Day ACH allows them to do that in 2016,” said Janet O. Estep, president and CEO of NACHA. “These findings support our earlier research that Same Day ACH volume will come from use cases like payroll and B2B payments.”
- With PayNearMe and OfficialPayments.com, Federal Tax Payments Are Now Payable Using Cash at 7,000 7-Eleven Stores - "Government agencies and payment processors use PayNearMe to collect cash payments for everything from utilities to bike share membership," said Danny Shader, founder and CEO of PayNearMe. "Customers appreciate when the organizations care enough to offer them payment options at convenient locations and the organizations are happy to automate traditionally time-consuming payment processes to enable payments 24 hours a day."
- Adyen launches RevenueAccelerate - Pieter van der Does, CEO & Founder of Adyen, explained, “Ecommerce businesses need to challenge their payments provider to not only process payments but actually drive growth. We are able to offer RevenueAccelerate because we have something that no other payments solution has – a completely new infrastructure that utilizes all the rich data needed to optimize payments success.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!